Technical UT Brakes

Currently reading:
Technical UT Brakes

Jononz said:
Thanks for the replys

I believe It was your old MkII that I used for parts. Turbo was gone and the manifold was cracked, when I got it. The turbo is now a T2/25 Hybrid, with custom manifold.
You say the pads currently on the car were crap? Any ideas on where to get decent pads?
Lastly, in the past few weeks, I have noticed that 1st and 4th are sometimes very difficuilt to engage. It doesn't seem consistent with worn syncro's. Did it do this when you owned it?

Thankyou

This was my Black Mk2, A friend said he saw a selecta at IA one day that looked like it had a lot of parts from my old car. Given the condition of the car when I had it, its not supprising. good stuff putting it to good use. (y)

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/files/blackuno3.jpg

I took it to an event once, a bent sprint. It went very good for a stock UnoT with heaps of miles on the clock clock!

http://turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1239&highlight=uno+punto

Anyway, I put new pads in the back and machined the rotors, they should be ok. It needed new front pads and rotors. There are lots of different pads around. I just got some OMP roadsport from Maurice, www.thomsonmotors.net for my mk2, Im more than happy with them for the price, $100. Green stuff pads are $175 and not as good IMO. You will need new rotors, get them from IA or euro italian etc, most brake shops should be able to supply them too. The bias valve was worn where the spring is too. It would pay to set it up properly.

The gearbox was in very good order when i had it. Maybe one of the selectors is bent or damaged, maybe one of the engine/trans mounts are broken.

Who did the turbo for you? Im supprised the manifold was no good. The guy I bought it off said it had a new one fitted by the original owner, I guess that was well over 100K ago tough.

The old manifold had been off at some point, as the whole thing had cracked in half, going by the repair marks. It probably had some life left in it, but the less time I spend down the back of that engine fixing reoccouring problems the better.
I guess the best short term fix would be to upgrade pads and rotors, but I will hold off until I can figure out if this gearbox is terminally Ill, Auckland rush hour is not the place for a hostile first gear.

I checked out the photos, thats definatly the one. I'm glad you didn't send it into the ditch. Going by the showers of rust that rained down from most of the key structural points while I stripped it, I somehow feel its crash rating may have been a little compromised.

Cheers
Jonny

yeah I would believe that. I only had it for 3 months while my other Uno was off the road. Ive got a Tipo to race up hills now :) , some roll protection would probably be a good idea in that, let alone an Uno.

Take a look over at www.turbo124.com/forum if you want, lots of enthuiasts from NZ

Oh, just incase you are interested, I did a little work to that Uno when I had it. I fitted new front and rear brake pads, disc machine, new fluid, clutch fluid, Syn oil and filter, syn gearbox oil, plugs ($60 worth). New radiator and coolant, suspension arm, fuel hose. Recent new tyres and front struts.

Last edited:
Lora said:
Is it just me or are all UT crap? U know wen u slam ur brakes on REALLY hard that you skid i.e. wen ur just about 2 hit something, well mine dnt, it seems that wen i apply quite abit of pressure i get terrible brake fade, which isnt good wen ur doin a ton on the motorway & the traffic stops!

Any body like 2 shed sum light on this?

Lora x

PS this is my beloved uno http://photobucket.com/albums/a289/...rrent=fiat1.jpg

if i was you , id have the brakefluid changed .. and flushed .. i used to have the same problems :)

Back