Styling Upgrade to LED's

Currently reading:
Styling Upgrade to LED's

Canex

Hi all,
Has anyone upgraded their sidelight/DRL's to LED bulbs? I was thinking of changing headlights to LED but would need to change these as well & wondered if it would work or not?
IE would canbus need changing or bulbs with a load/resistor built in be needed - or will they just work without any adaption?
2015 X290 btw.
cheers
Chris

I have a 2010 Doblo and have upgraded all bulbs to LED.

Even the dash bulbs (my version has no dash light dimmer, old lights were dull) got replaced.

Most of the bulbs where off Amazon, no load resister, and work just fine. The computer still detects a blown or missing bulb as it should.

The major problem I have is the headlight low beam. The guy who did my MOT in 2022 said they were fine. The guy who did it March 2023 said the "bea m pattern doesn't match current guidelines". Luckily I carry a full set of spare (old) bulbs so just swapped them out. I am still trying to find the "new guidance" on the GOV.UK website and can't.

Weirdly, the MOT guy had zero issue with any of the other LED bulbs.

Anyway, I sourced them all through Amazon UK. The LED headlights even came in FIAT OEM packaging.

I put them back in after the MOT was done. I'm still trying to figure out this damn UK beam pattern thing. (I'm American BTW) :p

I have a 2010 Doblo and have upgraded all bulbs to LED.

Even the dash bulbs (my version has no dash light dimmer, old lights were dull) got replaced.

Most of the bulbs where off Amazon, no load resister, and work just fine. The computer still detects a blown or missing bulb as it should.

The major problem I have is the headlight low beam. The guy who did my MOT in 2022 said they were fine. The guy who did it March 2023 said the "bea m pattern doesn't match current guidelines". Luckily I carry a full set of spare (old) bulbs so just swapped them out. I am still trying to find the "new guidance" on the GOV.UK website and can't.

Weirdly, the MOT guy had zero issue with any of the other LED bulbs.

Anyway, I sourced them all through Amazon UK. The LED headlights even came in FIAT OEM packaging.

I put them back in after the MOT was done. I'm still trying to figure out this damn UK beam pattern thing. (I'm American BTW) :p
Thanks - good to know!
Do you have to take the headlight unit out to swap the bulbs or could you do it without?
I'm not sure if my 2015 van actually has a blown bulb indicator - I'll have to have a look!

Thanks - good to know!
Do you have to take the headlight unit out to swap the bulbs or could you do it without?
I'm not sure if my 2015 van actually has a blown bulb indicator - I'll have to have a look!
No special tools or process. All bulbs, internal & external, were a direct swap out.

Even the low beams, which mine have a pretty large heatsink, plugged straight in. The back covers don't hit them. Didn't have to remove the headlights. Which was great so aiming remained spot on.

The rear brake, turn, reverse assemblies come out with the screwdriver from the vehicle tool kit. The LED versions plugged straight in.

Best to find out the bulb types (H1, H7, W5W, etc) and get good bulbs. I skimped on the break lights the first time and they blew in a month. The long hour bulbs are still working after 2 years and still going. So do your research.

Did the same to my Mazda RX-8 headlights which are H7 projector. To change a bulb on that, you have to remove the front tyre then the wheel well cover to get access to the back of the light housing. Sucks bad. Bought the same bulbs for this and the Fiat!

Back