Technical Up and running

Currently reading:
Technical Up and running

kasedie

My 70 With 45 engine has been running a little over a week now, with the usual gremlins of course.
1 Couldnt get the backfire out, discovered the mechanic had reversed plugs 2 and 3

2 Had no power at high revs, cause two plug leads dead and another badly corroded, sorted with a new set.

3 only started with key sometimes, had to run a wire to starter (embarrasing especially when i stalled it in traffic taking wifeto work on the third driving day) found too much resistance in circuit sorted by relaying starter circuit

4 lights dismal, sorted by relaying passenger side, good enough for now as i'm dead broke so i cant buy anymore relays and holders.

5 On momday the gear shift linkage poped out, luckily it was only a few meters from school which by the way is an auto school. poped it back in and wrapped with binding wire for insurance Need a bush kit but cant get 1 at the moment.

6 cant get the car to idle at the correct rpm will try and play with the intake as ths has ony a performnce filter on top of the carb no pipes or anything. The hose from the cam cover is also not connected.

Will keep you posted

y engine does not idle very smoothly but i put that down to the fact that the guy who sold me the engine said it would need a new carb
Needless to sayi dont have the money to buy one now so i'm making do with the old one which has idling problems.
tODAY I HAD TO DRIVE IT LIKE A RACING CAR AS IT WOULD NOT IDLE.
got over that by stopping and adjusting the idle screw so it idles at 2000rpm
it si still very jerky when my foot is not on the gas.

i discovered there is no cover over my choke linkage so dust may be blocking the idle valve (if there is such a thing)
will try and fabricate one

The air adjustment may have been toyed wit6h so i'll try and toy with it a little more.

more updates to come

hi mate, mine also carb version uno.
usual maintenance is spraying it using carb cleaner when it felt rough at idle.
yours idling at 2000rpm? :eek: is it die when you set it at 800? if it is, that could be a dead idle cut-off device (selenoid) which should be let fuel add which is a must at idle.
and check your ignition timing, i dont think bad plugs can cause a backfire CMIIW and also you mentioned about rough idle thou..

Thanks for the info.

i checked the jets and theyre both clear

there is no change in rpm when i adjust the air screw

i think the solenoid may be ok as it shuts off if i disconnect the wire at front of carb.

there is a hose at the back of the carb near the throttle linkage which is not connected to anything blocking it gives no change but can anyone tell where it should go?
thanks in advance

as far as i know there are some hoses at back of carb.
one that close to throttle linkage is connecting inlet manifold to coolant pipe (i think fiat made it to cooldown the intake for economic run), not much performance difference when got it disconnected. other hoses are used to operate idle-up / vacuum.
as for rpm setting, i adjusted fast idle screw (at front of carb). i rarely play the air screw,as it can cause excessive fuel consumption when improperly adjusted.

Last edited:
I firmed up the gear shift with some washers thanks to alex. Feels much better, also thightened parts on gearbox

Cleaned the bulb holders and sprayed white paint on the plastic behind the bulbs. Indicators now look much brighter in the day.

Cut a hole in filter in dash so i could see when the indicators are on in the day

Fabricated plastic cover for the choke linkage in carb

Also ran choke cable through same hole as heater hose so it now gets to the carb i now have choke function

Relayed both lights and put in 100/90W lamps

Couldnt pull bung to change oil so i dropped the exhaust and removed the oil pan to change oil.

Reverse light does not work traced it to switch on gearbox will replace very soon.

Brake servo will also be replaced

Sun roof was sealed with stuff that makes fish tanks as there is no seal. will try and fabricate a rubber one as i will not weld sun roof shut. i love the sun roof, i'll take the leaks.over no sun roof.

bolted an equalizer under the radio and a small amp under glove box.

Will give verdict on sun roof as soon as i find a solution

I guess they say jamaica no problem cuz we will find a solution somewhere( even if it doesnt work that well.

Yoes_p thanks for the warning as my fuel consumption did go up. but i now think i may have an ignition module slowly failing not a bad carb. but i'll have to check the result of the booster replacement first. as keeping the brakes pressed also affects the idle due to the leaking servo.

I actually want to keep this one till it dies as it may be one of the last mk 1 70 in Ja allbeit with a 45 engine it may even get back the original engine if i can rebuild it myself. Lets see how long it lives

Wow! :eek: That's a lot of work you're doing there.

You'll know the car inside out by the time you're finished. :)

A couple of the problems you listed:

1. Poor idle: I'd take a look at the electronics side, rather than fueling. I'd start with the basics, distributor cap/distributor/ignition module, etc. Just one thing, if she's running too rich, (look for a build up of soot on the exhaust pipe), this will lead to rough idleing.

2. Sunroof: Really the only (almost 100%) way of stopping leaks is to replace the sunroof rubber seal. But I'm, not sure that Fiat can supply this part anymore. You may want to look at DIY sealants instead. But if it carrys on leaking it will rust the car badly, as the water will cause corrosion inside the vehicle.

Good luck on her, you sound like you're doing a fantastic job.

Back