General uno turbo diesel

Currently reading:
General uno turbo diesel

Fizzix

there many of these about?

kinda looking to get one for a run about as i cant afford my current cars 18 mpg!

they have the same dash as the petrol turbos?? pretty cool if so..

and what cc where they?...mpg??

as in none at all what so ever?..

They're rare as the Uno was discontinued before the diesel market really took off in the UK. With the popularity of diesels now they tend to be kept going longer and hold their value. Thing is, the non turbo version of the Uno diesel is not that economical compared with the small petrol versions and it's also very sluggish. I have some magazine reviews of the Uno diesel and the consensus was to buy a petrol version!

They will slog on forever though, but if unless you are going to lugging around lots of people/ parts I'd stick with a good FIRE petrol version.

Last edited:
You obviously saw https://www.fiatforum.com/uno/158329-fiat-uno.html

I haven't seen a turbo diesel Uno, ever, and so I reckon they must therefore be the rarest Uno of all - I've seen all other versions :eek:

Was probably the most expensive Uno to make, too.

I dug out my Mk2 Uno handbook and here are some of the figures.
It's a 1367cc engine - a bit of a disappointment there, as I thought it was a 1.7 ;) It has peak torque of 128Nm at just 2500RPM. For comparison, the Mk2 petrol turbo has 161Nm at 3500, the Mk2 70SX 106Nm at 3250, and the 45 versions have 78Nm at 2750. So for acceleration, it's somewhere between a 70SX and a petrol Turbo.

Power is a different story: just 72bhp for the turbodiesel at 4800RPM (compared to 118bhp for the petrol turbo, 71bhp for the 70SX, and obviously 45bhp for the 45).

Top speed is 168km/h (104mph) for the turbodiesel, a long way short of the 204km/h (127mph) of the petrol turbo. But even so, something suggests to me that the turbodiesel Uno would be a gutsy little car to drive.

Urban cycle fuel economy of just 5.4L/100km (52mpg) for the turbodiesel beats the petrol turbo (9.5L/100km - 29.7mpg) hands-down. And, it's less than a 45 as well (6.1L/100km). Even at a steady 120km/h, the turbodiesel manages 5.7L/100km - 49.5mpg which is bettered only by a five-speed 45 model at 5.6L/100km - 50.5mpg.

As Chas said, I wouldn't bother with a non-turbo 1.3 diesel - that would be a lot more sluggish than a 45 - but the 1.7L non-turbo diesel would be OK.

-Alex

Last edited:
We have lot's of TD's here in Portugal..

The most popular versions of the MKII here, were the 45S (looooots...) and the 60SX.. some 60S too!

-Uno 1.4 TD 3/5 doors and the 1.7D
-The rare 70SX i.e. 5 doors, or the rarest one.. 70SX i.e. w/3 doors..

Back