General Uno prices, is this worth it?

Currently reading:
General Uno prices, is this worth it?

ok, been offered a Uno 1.0 with MOT until May 09 and 6 months Tax for £450.

now, i know that seems high, but the car is a 2 lady owner from new, 46k miles on the clock, full service history, original bill of sale from fiat, bodywork is extremely tidy with only 2 tiny little dings on the bonnet. arches are mint, sills are mint, no rust or rot anywhere. Its probably the best example of a uno left!

now, do i buy it or not?!?!?!

i'm after a run about and was looking for a uno, but it's a little more than i wanted to pay! but it is the best of the best examples left!

Dunc

£450 is peanuts for any car that has no rust.

:yeahthat:

I've noticed that clean Unos have actually gone up in price over the past year or so and the few nice examples that have turned up on Ebay recently have gone for more money than they would previously. There's probably a number of reasons for this, such as people buying a second cheap to run car to cope with the downturn in the economy as well as modern big cars getting hammered by taxation. Unos are also getting thin on the ground and there's still rusty turbos wanting to be re-shelled so the demand for clean, rust free three door Unos has gone up.

£450 sounds a lot until you bear in mind that at least £100 of that is the road tax and the MOT. So for £350 you get a car that is extremely clean, low mileage and with a full service history. I'd say go for it (y)

By the way, you didn't say which model it is? Mk1 or mk2? 903, 1.0, 1.1, 1.3, 1.4? I'm guessing it's this one that's on Ebay ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200257482432&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

Attachments

• rocket car.jpg
    rocket car.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Rocketcar.jpg
    Rocketcar.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 14
Something looked wrong with that Uno at first..

I’d a said it’s a carb’d Uno as it appears to have a bottom shift gearbox (Under car gear linkage).

I presumed all IE Fire Unos came with the C513 box.

Then again if it was registered in December 92 it can’t be a carbed Uno as they were kind of outlawed here due to emissions from August 1992

Anyway Dunc, I’m shocked that you didn’t want my car :p with 12 months MOT an all :D

See where your coming from Chas LOL!!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
i got it ;)

its sat on my drive now hehe!

VERY VERY solid, few tiny spots of rust where stone chips are but no rot what so ever! drove home mint, but thats no supprising for 46k miles! Needs a good polished and theres some green slimey stuff over it where its been sat in a garage! but once ive washed and polised it, fitted a full turbo kit with bumpers, lowered it and fitted some alloys and generally sproosed it up, its gonna be a minter!

Dunc

i got it ;)

its sat on my drive now hehe!

VERY VERY solid, few tiny spots of rust where stone chips are but no rot what so ever! drove home mint, but thats no supprising for 46k miles! Needs a good polished and theres some green slimey stuff over it where its been sat in a garage! but once ive washed and polised it, fitted a full turbo kit with bumpers, lowered it and fitted some alloys and generally sproosed it up, its gonna be a minter!

Dunc

:woot:

Nice one Dunc (y)

But how are you going to put up with a 45bhp 999cc FIRE after having a 200SX and a Uno Turbo? Don't get me wrong, little FIREs are great engines but you're going to have to adjust your driving style!

ok, been offered a Uno 1.0 with MOT until May 09 and 6 months Tax for £450.

now, i know that seems high, ...

... but it's a little more than i wanted to pay! but it is the best of the best examples left!

Sheesh...
Recently over here, a '94 Uno 1.0 in excellent condition reached a bid that was the equivalent of £1100. Another in more average condition reached £890.

I reckon £450 is a bargain. It's not like you can buy much of any sort of a car for that!

And particularly when we consider that this is the guy who filled his parent's shed with ££££'s of gear including several sets of wheels, seats, exhausts... :)

EDIT: Having actually looked at the car, I can see you're going to spend a few days on that - the steel wheels are crying out for a silver repaint, and it would look nice with a set of standard Turbo seats (the durable grey type) instead of those base-model things :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Alex, was that '94 Uno 1.0 a red one in Wellington?

:)
There were two '94 red 1.0 i.e. Unos on Trademe a few months back, and yes - you are right, I was thinking of that red one that was in Upper Hutt (but started its life in Whangarei). It was super-low-kms (22,000) and two owners (father and daughter) so maybe was a bit of an unfair mention in this thread.

The other one was far more average and sold in Auckland for about $2200 if I remember rightly, which was the £890 I referred to.

Generally I think the thing to get out of this is that we pay much, much more than they do in England for these cars - about twice as much - but then, that may be justified based on the general condition of 'cheap' cars in England. If you were to find a 1984 Uno 70 that's sat in long grass near the sea in NZ, and pay $50 for it, the condition you get will be about like buying an 'average' 1992 Uno in England :D

Dunc's example of course looks a lot better than average (and no doubt is), but the reality is that 'cheap' cars are not cherished in England as a (rare) Uno 45 Mk2 would be here. And that, I guess, is why Dunc wondered if £450 was too much! :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Went shopping the other week, 15 & 10 year old boys plus me daughter in her car seat, it's a bloody tight squeeze. Bootfull of shopping and the mrs in the front (the letters bbw spring to mind lol), meant my poor car suffered. I don't want to get rid as it's been the most reliable car i have ever had, it's only cost me a £6 clutch cable in the last 5 months :cool: but it is too small really.

Went shopping the other week, 15 & 10 year old boys plus me daughter in her car seat, it's a bloody tight squeeze. Bootfull of shopping and the mrs in the front (the letters bbw spring to mind lol), meant my poor car suffered. I don't want to get rid as it's been the most reliable car i have ever had, it's only cost me a £6 clutch cable in the last 5 months :cool: but it is too small really.

Depends on the type of journey I reckon :p Short trips around town, who cares? And you're saving fuel compared with running a bigger car.

After all, the car was meant for Italian families, and they often have more than two children. Petrol always cost a fortune in Italy.

But yes, regular motorway trips fully laden at high speeds would be a different ballgame and bigger cars tend to be more justified, in my opinion.

-Alex

Back