Technical Uno noise from rear ?

Currently reading:
Technical Uno noise from rear ?

Pete

Car is a standard 1993 Uno 1.0ie (fuel injected) in overall good condition and in daily use.
Speed humps have recently been installed on local road and we are now noticing a chinking noise (like two spanners knocking together) as the tail of the car comes down off the humps. This is not the rear springs clunking, it only does that when cornering at low speed.

At first I thought the wheel spanner was contacting the inner rim of the spare wheel but this is not the case. I now suspect something to do with the float mechanism in the fuel tank.
Can anyone throw any light on this please?
Thank you, [email protected]

could it be something with the spare wheel clunking around after being dislodged after going over the humps? maybe the spanner thing or a screw or something.. worth a check before you start taking things apart

sig.jpg

My Lovely Uno

Hei.

Check the top mounting of the rear shock absorbers. Remove the plastic cover from inside the car. I think it's called "bushes" or something - where the shock absorber is bolted to. Take a firm grip on your Uno and push it downwards to check the bushes. You'll easily see if they are worn out. They will slip and slide from each other. I have changed both mine after 100.000 km. I also became aware of the problem after doing some speed humps.

Morten.

Hello Morten, thanks for your reply.

The two upper mounts ( Fiat call them "pads" ) are a well known failure item on the Uno, I changed them both when I first got the car.

It has now been suggested that it may be one of the exhaust hangars hitting the underside of the car as it drops off the hump (by a chap who has had this before) so I will check this out in the morning and let you know.
Rgds, Pete.

Yep - could be the rear exhaust mount...

The rubber mount at the back perished on my Uno - its quite exposed I suppose...new one is about £1.50 from a Fiat dealer. Then the exhaust ends up resting on the rear axle and hand brake cable...

but you'd probably notice that.

Mine just makes that kinda sound round suburban streets when you take corners in 3rd!!

Back