Technical Tyres..

Currently reading:
Technical Tyres..

Right then, citizens.

I got an advisory on the MOT that the rear tyres are close to the legal limit. No problem, I shall get a couple of new ones. I've never skimped on tyres as they are one of the most safety-critical items on a car, plus I have been known to drive enthusiastically on occasions ;).

Currently the car has Goodyear GSD3 (aka Eagle F1's) on the front, a long-time favourite of mine (fitted to a couple of my Scoobys, which can really dish out the abuse to tyres..) and Pirelli P6's on the rear.

My current thoughts are to put a couple of GSD3's on the front (if I can find them) and move the part-worn fronts to the rear. The rears don't really do much apart from stopping the car dragging its arse on the floor, from what I can tell.

Anyone got any particular favourites or horror stories/ones to avoid in terms of tyres?

Cheers,

Plug

Edit:

Goodyear no longer make GSD3's in 15", so that's that plan out of the window :(

Last edited:
I had the Eagle F1s in 195/45-15 on the Panda 100hp and they weren't fantastic. Too soft a sidewall, folded underneath with hard cornering and soon scrubbed the edges off (tracking a-ok, before anyone asks).

The Barchetta has Goodyear Eagle NCT5s on, 195/55-15 and they seem ok. It doesn't get the same hammer the Panda did though.

I tried Marangonis on the Panda - they were pretty damn good and a lot cheaper than Goodyear.

My current thoughts are to put a couple of GSD3's on the front (if I can find them) and move the part-worn fronts to the rear. The rears don't really do much apart from stopping the car dragging its arse on the floor, from what I can tell.

(

Michelin says the worn tyres go in front not in the rear.
Why fit new or less worn tyres on the rear?
Whether you have front or rear wheel drive, we recommend that you use newer tyres for the rear set, for extra safety in unforeseen or difficult situations (emergency braking, tight bends etc) particularly on wet surfaces.

Numerous tests have shown that it is easier to control the front wheels than those at the rear.
Front tyres generally wear quicker than those fitted at the rear, particularly on front wheel drive cars, which are currently in the majority.

New tyres fitted in front :
- The behavior of the car will change, because the front / rear balance will be reversed.
The driver, used to a car with less grip at the front, will therefore be taken unawares.
- On a slippery road, the rear will lose traction before the front of the vehicle.
The driver will have no chance of controlling the rear, and will be tempted to accelerate further, which will amplify the spin effect. Only an experienced driver will be able to recover from this dangerous situation...

New tyres fitted at the back :
- The handling of the vehicle will be similar to that known by the driver before the tyre change, because the traction balance will be the same.
- Rear traction will be better, and the driver will be able to control and steer their vehicle without a problem by decelerating and turning the steering wheel in the direction of the bend.

That's why Michelin advises you to reduce the risks you take by fitting new or less worn tyres at the rear of the vehicle for:
- better grip on bends
- extra safety.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-4x4-van/less-worn-tyres-rear/20070314172074.html

Not an exact match size wise – but the Pirelli P6 was the Gold Medal winner in the ADAC (2008) 195/65R15V tests. Silver: Bridgestone Turanza ER300. Bronze: Vredestein Sportrac3. 4 th: Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse.

Get a grip Which? (2008) – marked the P6 & ER300 the same, but gave Gold to the ER300 & the P6 Silver. Bronze: Conti PremiumContact2. 4 th: Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse.

The Pirelli Cinturato P6 also took Gold in the ADAC (2010) 185/65R15H tests.

References:

http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentes...ab.asp?ComponentID=209311&SourcePageID=209308

http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentes...ab.asp?ComponentID=280069&SourcePageID=280715

P6000's are fine.. I had 'em on the coupes and no problems on a much faster/heavier car.

Last time around had P6000's on the front and Bridgestone Turanza's (? spelling) on the back ..'orrible combination in the wet. Swapped them around and then ok but a poor choice of tyre dealer 'special offer'.

Ok, bit of an update..

As the Goodyears are no longer available in 15", I took the decision to move them front to back and replace the fronts with Toyo Proxes T1-R's.

Good move (y), I've been out and had a bit of a play and the Toyo's work really well. Sharper turn-in than the Goodyears, less understeer, but sidewalls feel a little softer. Don't know know how they'll age - but at my current mileage of ~3000/yr they should be good for a while yet.. :)

Not the cheapest at £70 each, but not the most expensive either..

Cheers,

Plug

i also bought 205 40 17 TOYO PX4E RF... for 85 pound each. maybe is only in my head, but i can feel difference in curves and somehow steering wheel is more sensitive and easier to turn. before i had front Goodrich and back Nexen, they were ok only first year (about 10.000km)... i hope Toyo will last longer, even those soft summer tires.

Hello,

Do you know if would be possible to put on the car 195/65 R15? or 185/65 R15?

I was looking for prices for P6000s recently and read somewhere that they have been discontinued since 2007. :(

Regards
Giorgio

I used to have P6000s and they were okay. But compared to Eagle F1s I subsequently fitted, the P6000s didn't wear as well, the limit of adhesion was less progressive and in the wet they were no match. So I'd say that the Pirelli P6000 wouldn't be a suitable alternative if you're a fan of F1s. Cannot comment on TOYO but I do hear good things about them

I had new Toyo Proxes (195/55/15) put on each corner and I thought they were the DBs, the cornering was a lot sharper, like the B was on rails.

a

Back