General Tires Sizing

Currently reading:
General Tires Sizing

DWB

I need to get new tires for a 79 1500 US version that rest on 5" rims -- I have seen in posts that it appears that 185/60*13 will fit and provide reasonably accurate speedo display. My concern rests with the width of the tires 185/60 and impact it may have on touching the inside wheel wells at lock.

Any knowledge would be appreciated since I have access to the 185/60*13 tires and want to get my Fiat on the road with new tires this spring.

It is a well proven equation that doesn't seem to offer any drawbacks except a fractionally bigger fuel bill. Steering response and general road holding are improved which is the general main concern while you retain an almost identical tyre height. Go for it.

For the speed difference calc try going here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If you need spacers to push the wheels out just that little bit (I don't think you will) then make sure you get proper hubcentric spacers. The generic universal items are not advisable for Fiats.

Last edited:
Guess I will order the 185/60s and see if there is a clearance issue and potentially add the spacers if required.

Thanks.

I'm ordering that size of tire, and I'm curious to know how the clearance is. Will I need spacers?

Back