Technical Tipo questions

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo questions

united8v

So after thinking i was going to get a mk2 punto for a long time. I finally passed my test and am planning on getting my dads 1991 fiat tipo. Just got a few questions.

Firstly how can i tell what power engine it has, I have had a search around but cant find anything. It says TDS on the side above the indicator. I think it is a DGT model. I looked on wikipedia and it is said to be only 64bhp could this be correct, although it is really nippy! (well fast in my opinion)

Also there is a large slit in an approx 2.5" dia pipe that looks like an air intake pipe, could this have coincided with the turbo meter on the dash not working? or is not something to be immediately sorted.

Thanks

Hi, DGT refers to the trim and instrument spec. Ie - it has the digital dashboard. Your car sounds more like the Turbi Diesel which was 1.9 litre and was at one time the top of the range before the 2 litre petrol cars were introduced.

Is it a diesel? - should by obvious .

The Td was 92 bhp. it does not sound alot these days but there is no catalyst and as you say it is pretty fast if you ensure the revs are in a fairly narrow upper range where you will get most boost. A small diameter plastic pipe strikes off from the top of the fuel pump (as I remember) bottom left to right (in front of the engine) then up to the instument panel which works the guage and I imagine yours would be the same. This can split in which case you'll get no reading.

Jonti

Last edited:
Back