Technical Tipo 2.0 16V Low Oil Pressure

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo 2.0 16V Low Oil Pressure

mustaya

Dear All,

I have a problem. My Tipo 1997 model 2.0 16V. I'm getting low oil pressure. Can you help me on this?

Cold Start: (1500 rpm) = 3,5 bar
Cold Start: (2000 rpm) = 4,0 bar
90 C idle: (850 rpm) = 1,5 bar
90 C Load (3000 rpm) = 2,9 bar
90 C Load (3000-6000 rpm) = 3,1 bar

I just changed the oil pump. Made the new engine. Cleaned the oil pressure sensor. I use 10w 40 Mobile/Super oil. I changed 1000 miles ago.

Pls, Can you help me this subject?

No doubt the 16v ppl will have a better idea but it sounds ok? Outside temperature can make a big difference i.e, hot weather will decrease pressure on start.

They say oil pressure should roughly equate to rpm when hot, so at 1.5 bar your tacho needle would be at 15,000 revolutions and at 3 bar 30,000 revs (I think from memory) and it sounds like you are well ok there, higher pressure than this at idle is also very encouraging.

My TD uses the same sensor and they are pretty inconsistent. I put on my third sensor (from memory) 2 weeks ago - my last one would never go higher than 3.2 (hot) even when reving the balls off it yet the new sensor shows 4 bar+ doing this and is about 1bar higher at all other times !

Last edited:
Dear Jonti, Thank you for your reaply.

Obviously I am not sure about it. But I know that is inconsistent indicators. I am living in Turkey. First run in the morning air temperature 4-5 C. That scares me is the low oil pressure at high RPM. I saw at 4 bar pressure around 6000 rpm.

cheers

meh haba are there still many Tipos in Turkey? Caught a train from Istabanbul to Ankara in 1998 amazing trip amazing people amazing number of Tipos. Well a mechanic can test the pressure accurately but as your idle is good I think sensor - also when you set off biting point is often the lowest pressure and you are not reporting any problem. Inaccuracies multiply under most load? My old engine - which was knackered - the gauge showed nothing at all never moved off zero for several years when i put the brand new bottom end in - weyhey in it sprang to life but only went upto about to about 3 see link below! So movement is most important its like the FIAT clock on the dash seems to go round but is not telling me the exact time.

https://www.fiatforum.com/tipo/118466-summer-td-engine-change.html

Last edited:
Merhaba Dear Jonti ;)

Yes, Turkey has a lot of tipo. Tipo production ended in the year 2000. Thank you for the information you have given.
Obviously not a problem for now. The engine sound is normal. I am concerned only for high rpm. I will test as soon as possible with a different pressure regulator. I will write here ;)

cherss

Doesn't sound too bad, did you clean the oil drillings on the crank and check the clearance between the pump and pump housing housing. The std oil pressure gauge is nonesense, you'd need something more accurate to be sure.

Thanks sediciRich
I have tested with a different oil indicator. There are different too small. About 0.3 bar higher than the looks. So hot engine, high-rpm (5000 rpm) 3.5 bar looks.

"Check the clearance between the pump and pump housing"
This is what should be clearance in between? Do you have any idea?

ok just consulted the bible,

According to Guy housing clearance is not as important as I thought on this type of pump. When the housing was removed and cleaned were there any deep scoring marks (deep scratches) on the cover plate or outer gear. . If there was this will the leak down. Did you clean the pressure relief valve and make sure it is closed? If the pump output is good and the sump pick up is in the correct postion (not bent) and clean then the pump output will be good. If the oil gallery pressure is poor there must be a blockage from pump output, heat exchanger or significant oil loss at the crank (too much clearance, worn bearings). I should have checked mine today for you as I had it idling up to temperature as I cleaned it and I have a capillary pressure gauge (I can only do standing still tests).

Last edited:
I have found that the main problem on 16V engines related to oil pressure are leaking oil jets in main oil gallery,..if they are Ok and pressure is low, the engine bearings and oil pump is worn...

they should be closed up to ~1,5 bar, if they are leaking you will get bad measures... very often they are open due to carbon and small particles in the oil..

simple method to check them is to blow them with compressed air...

if they are bad, they are 4x 1,5mm hole with uncontroled flow directly on main oil galery...(something like 3mm hole with no contol..)

On my current engine I´ve blocked these sprays and engine has 3bar at tickover and almost 5bar from 4krpm to redline when hot (100-110°C oil temp..)

Thanks Honza and sediciRich

I noticed today not original oil filter. I ordered a new oil filter.

There are currently installed filter: 5984045

Ordering the original part code: 71736164

I'm gonna check the oil pressure after replacing the oil filter.

Best regards

Last edited:
Back