General The new Uno

Currently reading:
General The new Uno

Some pics I`ve just seen, they seem computer enhanced...Verdicts?

Attachments

• 4290414746_83964965b8_o.jpg
    4290414746_83964965b8_o.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 4290414666_7bfcb24c01_o.jpg
    4290414666_7bfcb24c01_o.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 29
  • nuovafiatuno02_big.jpg
    nuovafiatuno02_big.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 41
  • nuovafiatuno03_big.jpg
    nuovafiatuno03_big.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 33
Is it just me, or does it look a lot like the Panda?

And what's with the gaping monsters of the deep style mouths on the latest fiats?

I`m glad I`m not the only one who`s finding it an insult to the Uno name...

Just looks like an ultra budget Panda shell with different ends..

Theres 2 Fiats in the Autocar hall of fame, the Uno is one of them.

If theres any Fiat people who have any input to new car design reading this forum (which they should do when reviving classic Fiats really), take note, this is an insult to the Uno name!

We aint no crazy fools sucka! :mad:

Why dont they just take the Brazilian Mk3 Uno / Mille, increase its strength to meet legislation & stick to the simplicity concept of the original? It`d save them millions & they`d be able to sell it cheap...

It`d probably retail under 5 grand.

Remember, Tata is developing the Nano for Europe & is likely to be significantly under 5 grand...

Last edited:
I am going to be in real trouble now!!:)

No it is not an UNO! and I hope they find another name.
But it is looking like it could be a real practical mini car, and I like the look of it.

Saabs have what is now called the Classic 900 early 80's to 94, then they used the same name 900 but it has NG in front of it. The NG900 is a completly different car in every way.

So I guess Fiat can do the same.

The thing is, we`ve already got a world class practical mini car with virtually the same dimensions rawill, its called the Panda!

I am going to be in real trouble now!!:)

No it is not an UNO! and I hope they find another name.
But it is looking like it could be a real practical mini car, and I like the look of it.

Saabs have what is now called the Classic 900 early 80's to 94, then they used the same name 900 but it has NG in front of it. The NG900 is a completly different car in every way.

So I guess Fiat can do the same.

If someone is thinking of calling that an Uno, they obviously haven't paid any attention to an actual Uno :(

The offset slots for the grille remind me of the original Panda - a feature considered universally-ugly and facelifted-out of the Panda, I wonder why they would want to bring that back.

Surely the most distinctive aspect of the Uno is the clean shape of the profile with the large windows and doors that close onto the roof edge, and the chamfered shape to the taillights (especially Mk2 Uno) that define the shape of the rear hatch. Surely it is possible to carry those elements forward to a modern design and evoke an Uno 'look and feel'. For a start, have a nice tall glass area - most modern cars have a lot less glass than the Uno and that makes rear visibility worse. Make the wheels much larger in the modern way of things - 17" as standard. Have a crease line that runs right around the car, even through the lights, with no unnecessary bulges or curves. Put the curves on things like the bonnet edge and wing tops, where they soften the shape. Get the wings to curve around the windscreen pillars Mk1-style.

I think the whole car once safety-engineered and ergonomics-engineered, and necessarily larger than the Panda, would end up being about the size of the old Tipo, but that's OK. People still called the Tipo a 'small car' back in the days!

I also think a Mk1-style dashboard would work quite well when scaled-up to the MPV-proportions required for a modern car. A larger padded roll would make a good location to store a passenger airbag, and the ribbed shelf behind would help prevent that claustrophobia-inducing bulk of most modern cars. Aluminium paddle switches on the instrument cluster (which could be made out of tactile modern materials) could leave a single stalk on the steering column, which could have a nice robust feel to it.

Single wiper, of course. Slatted grille, naturally. Five diagnonal chrome bars - why not - to hell with FIAT's 'corporate image' :)

Features like the Uno's swinging and lifting seats (swinging forward to allow easy access to the rear, lifting when slid forward) haven't been seen for years. These are the sort of things that would make a new Uno a genuine Uno.

-Alex

Last edited:
Well has it progressed in a different direction ???
These spy shot were circa June '07
Photo171.jpg

Photo172.jpg

Photo174.jpg

Photo175.jpg

Then again on www,newemotion.it it states this and shows these pix . . . .
The 2011 Fiat Uno will be a global car
The New Fiat Uno will be a budget model that will slot in range between the Panda and Grande Punto. Set to enter the market in 2010, the Uno will be offered in two body variants combining style and practicality with low consumption and running costs. With the Uno, Fiat will have 4 different models in the small car category: the A-Segment Panda and 500 and the B-Segment Uno and the Grande Punto.
The Uno might replace the Palio, or might be in a complete different section. Fiat is known for its compact cars, and this time they are improving style, quality as well as Fuel Efficiency.
The 2010 Uno will be a mixture of practical, Value for Money and low running cost that will be built on a shortened version of the Punto platform sharing many of its parts with the Punto.

motori694g_1.jpg

motori694g_2.jpg

Now to my mind that's not half bad
BUT which of all these is going to be the real new FIAT Uno?

Last edited:
I think the 1st one seen in June 07 turned out to be the new Ford Ka, obviously the Fiat badge on the seering wheel threw everyone back then.

As for the second one.... it would make more sense as an Uno, but God knows! I would say it looks smaller than a Panda in those pictures, despite them saying its going to be bigger, thing is, neither of the concepts look anything like an Uno...

So does that mean the one I put up is a new Panda? the big plastic arches might be a Panda 4x4...

Oh I dunno! thats the trouble with these spy shots, you never quite know what it`ll be... just ask George Bush...

:bang:

Well has it progressed in a different direction ???
These spy shot were circa June '07

Then again on www,newemotion.it it states this and shows these pix . . . .

motori694g_1.jpg

Now to my mind that's not half bad
BUT which of all these is going to be the real new FIAT Uno?

Last edited:
Alex - you should get a job on the design team:D

Unfortunately I can't draw for toffee :(
I tried making a few sketches to back up my statements, but they were too bad to show.

Basically, think of an Uno, then stretch it a little in length and width, and fit big wheels. Keep the flat-ish sides with three creases - take one of the creases right around the car (except where the wheels are, obviously) and make it part of the shape of the lights. Keep the windows large and the windscreen large and curved, seating position fairly upright to give a good view out. The bonnet should be drawn tight over the front wheels yet fairly long to give a proper car-like profile (not short like the smallest hatchbacks - C1, Smart car - use the space behind the engine for a proper heating/air conditioning system) and the headlights should be straight across with the grille, low as possible. The car you get looks quite different to modern shapes - flatter panels give a more practical shape, but straight crease lines should break it up and the large windows will prevent it looking like a van. A larger car (compared to the original Uno) should drive well - wide track should help. I always felt the Tipo drove like a more modern Uno.

I wonder if anyone has thought of a brainstorm session to pick out the best attributes of the Uno. It seems like most were lost in subsequent models. I've mentioned the seats and dashboard, but there are many more (the rear quarter windows on 5-drs, for example, not present on the Mk2 Punto). The spare wheel under the bonnet (of Brazilian versions) is an old FIAT trick that should be revived now that engines are smaller :)

Have you ever noticed how you can fit a coffee table or a washing machine in the back of an Uno, yet you can't fit the same into the larger, newer hatchbacks such as the Punto or Stilo due to the shape of the opening and the supports at the sides that make it hard to even remove the shelf. This sort of utility is always appreciated - I think FIAT should make a car that is genuinely useful as a family 'van' yet still car-shaped and pleasing to the eye. Basically, a large hatchback, like the Tipo was. FIAT could boast that the new Uno offers more cargo space than a Range Rover, yet more seating space than a BMW 3-series. Or something. :eek:

A new Uno could preserve the neatness of the original design, but slot into the range above the Panda and below the Bravo (I think the Bravo is just about forgotten anyway - that looked like a blown-up Grande Punto to me).

That proposal to make the Uno smaller than the Grande Punto - better - but I can't say I agree, though it's a reasonable design, it just looks too feminine for me. Small and curvy, like something from Korea. Surely the 500 already fills this market niche and looks more characterful. What would the five-door Uno look like? Notice how the short bonnet is so far above the front wheels and notice how small the wheels are, nothing like what I had in mind. Good packaging, maybe, but an elegant shape that anyone would want to drive? Dunno...

When the Uno came out, with its crisp simplicity, smooth and gutsy engines, and functional yet stylish interior, it instantly made most of what was on the market look staid and old-fashioned and the ride was so much less lumpy than most small cars. I think, to do the same again, the Uno needs to be a technically-clever car capable of matching the speed and handling of, say, a BMW 3-series, yet in hatchback form. It needs to reach above its market segment in driveability and (of course) there needs to be a hot Turbo version as well. I don't think a small, cute body on the Punto platform can do that. They should instead use the Alfa 159 platform but with 5-cylinder engines (petrol and diesel) and the bold, flat-surfaces hatchback shape I described. Then we would have a hatchback with nice handling and performance - something to make a Golf look bloated and slow :)

Maybe a way to achieve this would be to start with the current Lancia Delta, and square off some of the surfaces, fit a more utilitarian interior, lose the chrome and luxury. FIAT Group has so many cars at its disposal to choose from!

-Alex

Last edited:
The Golf manages to do that very well on its own Alex ;)

:devil:

LOL - well, I want to see a new Uno as THE hot-hatch to have :) A car that drives brilliantly yet is still practical and much more useful than the 500 Abarth etc. Think about how the MINI has that clever multi-link rear axle yet isn't a very useful shape. All other small cars I can think of have some variation of crude twist-beam or trailing arm rear suspension. I want to see a hatchback that has the kind of highly-developed suspension, brakes, steering and engines that we expect in mid-sized saloon cars. And I want the hatchback to be mid-sized too - suddenly, there'll be no reason to buy a BMW 3-series or Audi A4 when you can have a more practical and just as well-made FIAT Uno instead.

I suppose BMW makes that - it's called the 1-series - so what FIAT needs to do is to take on and beat the 1-series :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Great post Alex !

Completely agree with everything you said. Especially with the low straight headlights; I hate the stretched look of the headlights on modern cars where they come up around by the bonnet.

Back