Technical the 5-speed Selecta

Currently reading:
Technical the 5-speed Selecta

Hi guys

you might remember I was having a bit of grief with selecta gearbox lately.
Well, since scrapping the car was out of question, nobody was interested to buy it as seen, and a replacement selecta gearbox is nearly impossible to find, I settled for the only other "reasonable" thing, turn it into a manual...

Thanks to panda-sport that offered planty of parts and some space to work on car!:worship::worship:

This conversion is not straight forward at all.. there are a lot of parts that are not compatible when going from the selecta box to manual.
The engine mounts and driveshafts are different, a 3 pedals pedal box is needed along with a manual gearstick with all linkages. The starter motor is different as well.
And of course the little detail of sourcing a manual gearbox and more odds and sods which can't think of at the moment.

Anyway, engine out job..

Knackered box off.... I was surprised to see that the driveshafts are completely different from the manual. There are actual CV joints at the box end, not the usual tripod arrangement..

Well, the clutch also looks slightly weird, with that long rod running in the centre. Worth remembering that one to avoid bending it while disassembling. My clutch looks and feel brand new :eek:

manual flywheel and a recycled clutch from manda is installed

a bit of fiddling and swearing later and the manual box is on :)

Nice! this 1.1 also has a 4x4 camshaft :) cant wait to see how it drives!

anyway, moving on...

the starter motors are not compatible

manual on the left, selecta on the right,

Brackets are slightly different too

these are for the near side, bottom one is the selecta.. Luckily all mounting holes line up :)

that's the offside one, minor differences but still... could do with a lick of paint :rolleyes:

the arm is different too, The one in my hand is the manual one, it has a longer reach and a smaller bolt hole...

removed all the auto gearstick paraphernalia, so many wires going into that gearbox ecu!

and a manual stick with linkages all connected up..

Thats pretty much it with progress today.
The pedal box is going to be an absolute pain as in order to fit it, the steering column will have to come off, and in order to do that a large part of the dash will have to come off too...:bang:
There is also the question of making sure all the wiring checks out. On the selecta there must be a feed to a relay that feeds the starter motor to disable ignition when the stick is not on Park.

1.1 is what 55bhp and cam gives extra 5 so a nice round 60ish? Less weight as well

Well, original 1108 spi cam has better lift{8.8mm} and about the same duration than 1.0 4x4 cam{8.0mm lift}.So, unless the selecta 1.1 cam is something diferent than 1.1 spi manual one ,do not expect any gain with this mod.

Last edited:
Great work! I was asking about this conversion a while back when the selecta with the 1242cc engine popped up. Great to see what your doing with it with the photos (y) and glad you didn't have to let it go in the end. Looking forward to the rest of your progress

IMG_2293.jpeg

OK to continue we need to set the shift selector in park or neutral to allow the starter to engage.

IMG_2292.jpeg

Now to wire the reverse light cut the blue red (LR) and white red (BR) wires which we need to connect to the transmission switch. This can be done using the existing electronic clutch wires on connector (10561) of the transmission ECU box which is no longer needed.
IMG_2305.jpeg

These wires pass through the bulkhead/firewall to the "female" clutch plug which by the way fits the male plug on the transmission reverse switch.
IMG_2289.jpeg

The wires just aren't long enough to reach the switch so more cutting and splicing is needed.
IMG_2290.jpeg

This is the plug for the reverse switch with a pig tail.
IMG_2291.jpeg

Here we have it wired to the old clutch connector wires that pass inside to the harness and connect to the (hot) wires for the reverse switch.
IMG_2296.jpeg

That it's its done. Solder not needed really tape it up and good to go. It will look like this.
IMG_2301.jpeg

The automatic transmission ECU is not needed any longer. Put the console back on and forget about it.
64818B1E-07E5-4D3B-8643-B3E55890E54D_1_201_a.jpeg

All done.

Back