Technical Tempra TD SW - No Worky

Currently reading:
Technical Tempra TD SW - No Worky

neil_g

hi guys,

ive got a 92 tempra 1.9td sw and its refusing to start.

it all started (no pun intended) last week when the battery appeared to die, so i replaced it with the halfrauds recommended item along with some new glow plugs. this worked fine for a few days.

it started becomming harder to start (turning over but no pick up and lots of smoke) and eventually the orange glowplug light stopped comming on.

checked the aux fuses and the 20amp had gone, replaced with no joy. also now replaced what i think is called the cold start relay under the bonnet (black box passenger side near the battery?) and the glowplug light is back however it is still not starting although is turning over and is very smokey.

any bright ideas guys, i am seriously losing my patience with this car now.

(n)

neil

neil_g said:
hi guys, ive got a 92 tempra 1.9td sw and its refusing to start.

it all started (no pun intended) last week when the battery appeared to die, so i replaced it with the halfrauds recommended item along with some new glow plugs. this worked fine for a few days.

it started becomming harder to start (turning over but no pick up and lots of smoke) and eventually the orange glowplug light stopped comming on.

checked the aux fuses and the 20amp had gone, replaced with no joy. also now replaced what i think is called the cold start relay under the bonnet (black box passenger side near the battery?) and the glowplug light is back however it is still not starting although is turning over and is very smokey.

neil

Have you checked that power is actually getting to the glowplugs, although the light comes on on the dashboard you could still have nothing at the plugs. Check with a voltmeter should be in the range 8 to 12 volts for about a minuite. There is a large fuse in the glowplug circuit under a plastic cover on the bulkhead behind the battery, never seen this go but it's a fuse so could go. I belive its 40A but it looks heavier, its fitted between two bolts inside the cover.

When mine stopped starting, no light on dashboard, it was the earth return at the front nearside under the battery, there is a large bolt on earth with multiple wires crimped in it. It suffers from corrosion of "some" of the wires and they loose connectivity, on mine it was starting that suddenly gave up, turning over but no pick up. Aso noted the dim-dip was not working, again an earth wire in the same crimp.

Tug each black wire in the crimp, if its duff it will come away easily with a corroded end, cut back several inches and crimp on a new ring terminal, bolt it down with the original bolt.

But having said all this you still seem to have an indication on the dashboard ?, so the relay is working, therefore i'd check that you are actually getting the voltage at the plugs, you may have lost a connection somewhere in the high current circuit to the plugs, agian probalby corrosion.

The tDi's will turn over but will NOT start without the plugs.

Any other symptoms ?

Back