Technical Tappet Adjustment

Currently reading:
Technical Tappet Adjustment

ramborobert

Has anyone who gets there jtd regulary serviced ever had to have any shims replaced and if so at approximately what mileage?

What happens if the clearence is too big?

Just asking these questions as most people probably service there own cars and this is one thing that never gets done.

I check and adjust (if neccessary) the clearances on my JTD about every 10,000 miles. I've only needed to replace 3 shims in the 40,000 miles I've had the car.

If the clearances get too big, the valve(s) won't open fully and there may be "tappet" noise.

It's more important not to let the clearances get too small or non existant. If that happens, the valve(s) may never close which would loose compression and could allow the valve and valve seat to burn.

To do them you need a micrometer, feeler gauge and the two special tools as shown below. One of them is home made from a bicycle tyre lever, the other was about £15 from Fiat.

Attachments

• JTD Tappet Shim Tools.JPG
    JTD Tappet Shim Tools.JPG
    767.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I check and adjust (if neccessary) the clearances on my JTD about every 10,000 miles. I've only needed to replace 3 shims in the 40,000 miles I've had the car.

If the clearances get too big, the valve(s) won't open fully and there may be "tappet" noise.

It's more important not to let the clearances get too small or non existant. If that happens, the valve(s) may never close which would loose compression and could allow the valve and valve seat to burn.

To do them you need a micrometer, feeler gauge and the two special tools as shown below. One of them is home made from a bicycle tyre lever, the other was about £15 from Fiat.

Do you have the Fiat part number for the tool please? :idea:

It's printed on the tool. 1860724001

It's gone up in price since I bought mine, just over £32 now.
We recently got a fiat bravo that has the MultiJet 8V engine, does it need its tappets adjusted? From what I know 16V have hydraulic lifters and 8V engines need adjustment... someone around here told me that :)

Back