Technical Sunroof - how tight is it supposed to be?

Currently reading:
Technical Sunroof - how tight is it supposed to be?

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
Just fitted my new roof but it is as tight as a drum - literally... you can make a noise by pinging it. I've managed to close the mechanism but I'm just wondering whether it would pop open when going along. My thought is that it may loosen a bit over time if I leave it closed but how tight is it supposed to be? I've fitted the front retaining strip so that about 5mm of the fabric is showing - does that sound right?

Right - I've looked again and the preformed pocket at teh front is snug on the front bow so I think it's OK. I've just hung a bucket containing 4 2litre bottles of lemonade, a club hammer, a claw hammer, a cold chisel and a brick bolster on the bow and left it without the catch done up to try to ease it down. This - ore something like it - was demo'd in the Axel Gerstl video

Attachments

• 2021-12-28 01 Fiat 500.jpg
    2021-12-28 01 Fiat 500.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 30
I fitted a new one in the summer; as with yours, it was tight as a drum when it went on. It soon stretched into shape and is now tight enough to feel confidence in, but not so tight as feel like the car will fold in half!

Still very tight after a day with the weight on, though I can latch it down. However, if you move the inside centre catch just a little it pops the roof open, which could be a bit of an issue if it happens spontaneously when driving... Does anyone know if there is any adjustment possible for the catch which might give a more secure closure?

Do you have any slack left in the canvas straps that run through the seamed edges of the roof? The normal practice is to pull them tight-ish, then screw through them with the self tappers on either end of the stretcher bar to fix the tension. You don't want them too loose, but maybe slackening them a bit might help? As far as I remember, there is little or no adjustment in the fastening latch, which is just flared pins and rivets, whether the receiving catch on the car body itself is, i'm not sure, but I think it is just set-screwed in place.
A warm sunny day helped mine bed-in no end, not sure where you are, but that is near impossible at the moment in blighty! Maybe try a hair dryer on it?!

One other thing perhaps worth a try, might be worth just slackening off the nuts on the stretcher bar at the rear, where they fasten through the roof of the car, and gently pulling out any slack that may be caught up there. It's an odd arrangement with the bar sandwiched between the roof, which is then folded over itself and forward, and for me that initial sharp fold was hard to get with the less pliable new material of the sunroof.

Thanks but unfortunately no dice... I left the side straps loose while the roof was weighted down, and I didn't fully tighten the rear nuts until after stretching the roof onto the front bow :(

I'll see how it goes... I may try to make a safety clip to prevent the catch boinging off

Back