Technical Strange noise

Currently reading:
Technical Strange noise

cameroon

Hello,
I am from Slovenia and I`m new on the forum. Greetings to all. I`m new owner of 1998 Panda 4x4, which is in very well condition.

Some days ago a problem/noise appeared. Whining (very loud) cames somewhere from the bottom and it is not connected (my opinion) with
motor rpm or transsmision gear.
Any suggestions? Please help...

Thank you

Welcome on UK forum...

If it's not from engine section and it's not connected with rpm...
...it could be fuel pump in tank...I've got some noice there but it's not loud...

If it's engine section it could be:
alternator,
alternator belt
camp belt bearing
cluch bearning

anything :(

In my 4x4 rear diff whines (loud:D) but this noise is connected with speed.
Does it also appear when the car is stationary with engine running? Or only on the move?

Sutjeska

Does it also appear when the car is stationary with engine running? Or only on the move?
I think this is key to getting the right answer.

If related to road speed regardless of gear or RPM then:
- wheel bearing
- no oil in gearbox or rear diff
- bearings in gearbox or rear diff broken possibly because of above
- something rubbing on wheel or drive shaft/propshaft

If all the time, even when stationary:
- no oil in gearbox
- bearings in gearbox broken possibly because of above
- Unusual fuel pump problem

Thanks for quick reply...

Noise is present only in movement. Higher the speed the higher is frequency of whining and in one moment noise stops. Than it starts again with low frequency and continue to higher and higher and stops again...

To lewey...

When I bought this car we have checked all lubrication and last week we also change oil in diff and transmission gear. Nothing suspicious observed.

You may need to change song in your radio...:D

Joke:)

it's really difficult to say...could you record it and put on youtube?

Thanks for quick reply...

Noise is present only in movement. Higher the speed the higher is frequency of whining and in one moment noise stops. Than it starts again with low frequency and continue to higher and higher and stops again...

:eek: Very strange. The only other thing that come to my mind is not greased rear end of prop shaft (sorry, I don't know how to name it in english). There's a small grease nipple on the back of prop shaft, just in front of rear diff. You must grease it regularly (couple thousands of km's) with molybdene grease using grease gun. But I don't know how should be the noise of it not greased.
It can also be one of the prop shaft bearings (holding prop shaft to the floor). But they are non serviceable, I'm afraid.

Sutjeska

Although oil may be fine now, damage may have been done in previous ownership. Did you not drive before you bought? Did the previous owner mention it as an issue or has it just started?

Other possibility is something like a leaf stuck and resonating in air (ventilation) system or air feed to engine.

Hi Cameroon, welcome to worldwide Fiat-Panda Classic forum, greetings from Belgrade.

Please try to describe strange sound as precise possible. Just for instance, if you turn on ventilation equipment, could be a source of ventilator???

Bearings on wheels????

Rear side-window not fit properly???

Bottom, ??, 4x4 transmition axel could touch something during drive???

Fuel hose touching- rear wheel, under rear wing -on some stage???/

Try to give us more possible description of sound and source position of that -sound.

Regards from Belgrade,
Aca

Hi Cameroon, welcome to worldwide Fiat-Panda Classic forum, greetings from Belgrade.

Please try to describe strange sound as precise possible. Just for instance, if you turn on ventilation equipment, could be a source of ventilator???

Bearings on wheels????

Rear side-window not fit properly???

Bottom, ??, 4x4 transmition axel could touch something during drive???

Fuel hose touching- rear wheel, under rear wing -on some stage???/

Try to give us more possible description of sound and source position of that -sound.

Regards from Belgrade,
Aca

Hi,
I think that noise is caming from bottom of a car, perhaps from prop shaft, diff or wheel(less possible).
The sound is almost like from a bad ventilator, like very loud whining at different frequency.

Regards

Hi,
I think that noise is caming from bottom of a car, perhaps from prop shaft, diff or wheel(less possible).
The sound is almost like from a bad ventilator, like very loud whining at different frequency.

Regards

From front?, middle?? or rear bottom??? of The Panda
I think 4x4 axel going from gear box to rear diff, pass through some kind of protection bracket (last third of car-bottom) protecting this axel to fell off or from einvornomental particles during off road drive. Could be that axel have some contact with protection bracket, or with hand brake cabel, or something similar, so during rotation in 4x4 mode, produce this noise. Try to turn off 4x4 mode and vice versa, to define diference in noise presence??/
If 4x4 is on, I also think that speed have to be less than 80 Km-Hr, or noise and damage of diff have been occured. Also check diff blocade on all weels (blocade) (knobs on weels)

Last edited:
Hm.... Aca, propshaft in Panda 4x4 is divided into three parts and suspended by a pair of bearings. It has shield protecting them, but the noise of something between the shaft and the shield should not be whining. Some day, during a race on stony surface, I managed to get a couple of stones there, and the noise was loud and strong banging to the floor ;):D I thought it was the end of propshaft :D But maybe a piece of wood? Who knows the sound of piece of wood between propshaft and shield on the move?;)
Diff blocade? Knobs on wheels? The only knobs on Panda 4x4 wheels are free-wheeling hubs, but they are italian aftermarket hubs, for special order.
@CLXCraig:yeahthat:
Sutjeska

Attachments

• The stony race.jpg
    The stony race.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 21
Hm...
@CLXCraig:yeahthat:
Sutjeska

I see Sutjeska, (my Panda is 2x4, so it is difficult to define problem). Anyway, fuel pump is dived into fuel tank, ....produce pressure. If you open fuel cap, mostly you can hear pfffsssssssst!! sound. Just thinking, if gasket on fuel tank (under back seat where fuel pump is dive into fuel tank- is not sealed, pressure could produce diferent spectrum of sound). More preasure into tank, more frequency......But that situation is not connected only with drive mode, could be heard during idle????
I hope problem is greace on prop shaft, nothing serious..... Panda factory gremelins.....

Back