General stilo multiwagon lowered springs

Currently reading:
General stilo multiwagon lowered springs

sexy disco

please help i have a stilo multiwagon on a 03 plate just changed my springs as i was unhappy with the handling have replaced the original springs with eibach now i have a strange noise from the drivers side front (clonking / rattling sounds like some thing loose but only at low speeds ) any ideas any one ??? :mad:

Who did the change over of the springs ..yourself or a garage..if its yourself then it's time to recheck your work and possibly the parts that were supplied..if its a garage take it back and ask then to recheck theirs..:)

hi i did it my self have rechecked it already and can see no reason why it should be making a noise ! there was one problem when i removed the drivers side leg the drive shaft popped out from the gearbox side pushed it back in and pushed the gator back over it i did loose a little bit of grease which i have not replaced could that be the noise there is a little bit of movement in the drive shaft ?
Paul

Ah Ha I see what happened ..you have undone the top mount nut [under the bonnet ] undone the two bolts [hub to strut] undone the drop link [top joint] and you have let the whole hub/brake assembly flop forward and in turn its pulled the shaft out from the gear box side..look ominous the say the least..:chin: think you need to get it back up and check it over strip it back out [carefully this time ]repack the grease and see it that does the trick.. :)

Inner joint is tri hardy spicer type like this..

2027070.jpg

The joint fits into a cup of the same shape ..its possible that the joint hasnt gone back into the same place it came out of and the lack of grease is now giving you movement..so as I said before my edit repack the grease but at the same time see if you can turn the shaft and relocate it in a different possition in the cup and take up any slack by doing so..

Last edited:
hi yes that's exactly what happened was you watching me ( lol ) i did already pull that apart again when checking the leg but did not rotate it and see if that's a better fit . is there any special grease to use ?
i will try this when i finish work later hopefully it will cure it
thank you for or knowledge your most helpful
Paul (y)

Ha !! thats happened to many I wouldnt mind betting..:D I use electrical cable to keep the hub upright..tie it to the carrier and thread the other end up through the suspension turret..pop a piece of 2x1 across and tie it to that..nice and snug..;)

Now where were we..ah yes the grease..:)

Diff side fiat use tutela MRM Zero..CV joint side they use Tutela Star 500..

http://www.flselenia.co.uk/

Hi from a fellow multiwagon owner,

Sounds interesting you lowering your car, Hope you will post some pic's for us to look at.

hi my rattling is still there i had it on the ramps today and noticed the end of anti roll bar is marking the drive shaft where the link bar is attached do you know if they make a smaller link bars or if replacing these it will clear the drive shafts ???
Paul

I would check to see if the ARB is central..its tight down there but shouldnt be touching the drive shaft..

OK now fixed !!! its silent at last .
tightened up near side bottom link bar .
when i removed strut i tried to undo bottom nut first ,this was difficult so undone top 1 and forgot to tighten up the bottom 1 silly me ( how stupid do i feel )

now i have brillient handling steering more responsive and i can feel the road and know where the car is in a bend highly recommend to any one with bad handling to lower it with eibach srings (£ 160 inc postage )
Paul :)

OK now fixed !!! its silent at last .
tightened up near side bottom link bar .
when i removed strut i tried to undo bottom nut first ,this was difficult so undone top 1 and forgot to tighten up the bottom 1 silly me ( how stupid do i feel )

now i have brillient handling steering more responsive and i can feel the road and know where the car is in a bend highly recommend to any one with bad handling to lower it with eibach srings (£ 160 inc postage )
Paul :)

Any pics?

Back