General Stilo Abarth Suspension Improvements - Advise Requested

Currently reading:
General Stilo Abarth Suspension Improvements - Advise Requested

Don't mess about with the cam-belt. If that packs up then the car will be a write-off... but wait until you've assembled everything else first, so that you can get a picture of the overall state of the car and whether it's worth it.

The other thing to look at is the metal brake pipe. You seem to have bubbling (corrosion) underneath the plastic sleeving above the union/nut, so that's a burst pipe/leak waiting to happen.

A decent garage will be able to cut the metal pipe (e.g. somewhere between the two plastic clamps) and put a flare on the pipe in situ, then make up a new bit of pipe to replace the bit they cut off. It shouldn't be too severe (££). But they need to be able to flare the steel pipe in situ.. removing the whole pipe and replacing it would be a whole different level of PITA.

You may be able to separate the flexi hose from the stub of the metal pipe once it's been cut out of the car... (they tend to corrode terminally together and unbolting the flexi tends to twist the metal pipe) .. but for the cost and hassle, it's easier to just fit a new flexi pipe.

Ralf S.

Yes, and I think we can only get so far handling-wise with a torsion beam on the back. Mine is overdue a new timing belt at this age but I'm not sure the expense is justified.

Do you really mean 'torsion bar' on the back :unsure:.

Re the timing belt, on the 5 pot it's one of the easiest belts to do on any twin cam fwd car (apart from the access), easier than on the 4 pots, but only worth doing if the rest of the car will give you a few more miles on the road.

You seem to have bubbling (corrosion) underneath the plastic sleeving above the union/nut, so that's a burst pipe/leak waiting to happen.
It's Dynax dribble - went on rather thick, good spot, I'll wipe it off for the MOT. I've peered at the cambelt @ £40k miles. It's contemporary with the car but it looks new :cool:, not dry, no stripes, all the writing. That said my valve to piston experience has been (1) something jammed on the belt run, breaking it, (2) a cover had been missing, or (3) a garage mess-up renewing the belt (!) twice now - my friend's GTV and my neighbour's Renault). Ideally it will have to solder on - given the car's low use (and an expensive clutch slave cylinder job a couple of years ago...).

I expected a wrestle with the ARB / drop links / hub but it wasn't much of an effort to reassemble

DSC_1266[1].JPG

Last edited:
My 5cyl Abarth was far easier to do than my previous 4 cyl 1.8, mainly because the cams didn't spin so soon as the old cam belt came off. Never had that before, but aligning a new belt without having to hold a camwheel in place made it so much easier :cool:.

DSC_1275[1].JPG

Rightio, drove out of the drive and the wheels didn't fall off, what a plus, now to replace the aftermarket engine cover which has warped with an oil spill, bit odd, must be the wrong material, due to a garage leaving an oil filter half-screwed on. Next is the perennial nightmare of bleeding the clutch. Why can't we have a normal bleed screw? It's still graunchy I hope this isn't yet another master cylinder. Despite my glove firmly pressed on the pipe clip, somehow it sprung away. These clips are all over my engine, always just out of view.

Back