Technical Stilo 1.2L16v coolant bleeding

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.2L16v coolant bleeding

Stilocar

Need to change the thermostat. What is the best way to bleed this model?
There is no bleeding screw - at least I didn't find it. This model has an expansion tank over flow hose going to the top of the radiator.

Should be a self-bleeding system. When I changed the 'stat on my 2.4 recently it was a simple case of changing the stat and topping up the fluid.

To start with, overfill the fluid slightly because you know the level will drop as the air is worked out.

Then start the engine and let it get up to full working temperature. Once at full working temperature, put the heaters to the hottest setting and turn the fans on full. Give that five minutes and you can shut the car off.

Once cooled, check the coolant level and top-up if needed, then you're free to proceed as normal.

You might have a bleed screw on the top corner of the radiator (usually by the headlight but some cars have it at the other end). Just unscrew it just enough for any air to come out. Once you see coolant, then tighten it up.

The system itself is self-purging, so if the level is on MAX at the expansion tank, it'll drive out any air from the rest of the system, although to get any air out of the heater (if you hear gurgling from inside the car) you need to have the heater set to "MAX" .. otherwise the coolant can't get in there.

Ralf S.

to get any air out of the heater (if you hear gurgling from inside the car) you need to have the heater set to "MAX" .. otherwise the coolant can't get in there.Ralf S.

As there's no valve or tap to stop it, coolant continually circulates between the engine and the heater radiator.

The heater radiator will be hot whenever the engine is. Setting the heater to maximum just open the flaps to allow air to pass through the heater radiator.

There should be a bleed screw on one of the heater hoses on the engine side before it passes through the bulkhead.

As there's no valve or tap to stop it, coolant continually circulates between the engine and the heater radiator.

The heater radiator will be hot whenever the engine is. Setting the heater to maximum just open the flaps to allow air to pass through the heater radiator.

There should be a bleed screw on one of the heater hoses on the engine side before it passes through the bulkhead.

I assumed Stilo has the same sort of little swivel hatch arrangement found on various same-age Alfas. On those, the hatch opens, to allow coolant into the heater matrix, as the heater dial is turned up.

If Stilo has a hot matrix, then there would be no need to purge air out of it by turning the heater on.

Ralf S.

I avoid touching them, in case they decide to leak or disintegrate entirely in my fingers :devil:

Our old bmw 323is msport did this... kept blowing out the bleed screw, two layers of ptfe tape round the thread fixed it.

Back