Technical speedo cable

Currently reading:
Technical speedo cable

le1gh

how do you take the whole unit out ot the gearbox ,not the outer cable that screws on, the bit in the gearbox

your not going to like it, but you can't remove the drive bit (n)

Even with the box in bits it don't come off as far as I could tell.

the inner cable should pull out.

plastic sleave pull out ????? i tryed

course i have fitted a punto gt box linkage etc ,and it doesnt fit my uno clock

I get ya.

Which gearbox did you have in before?

I don't know the GT box but I do know that on the MK1 Uno the bottom and top shift gearboxes have a different fitting for the speedow cable, and are not interchangeable.

The MK1 top shift and MK2 boxes share the same cable, so perhaps if you removed a bottom shift box, try a MK1 top shift or MK2 cable. All Uno speedow cables I have seen are the same at the speedow end.

Which reminds me I have a Bottom shift speedow cable I no longer need.

Last edited:
To add to what Louie's said...

I think the driven gear comes out of the gearbox if you unscrew an Allen-screw (recessed hex-head screw) in the diff housing below where the speedometer cable attaches. Then, a bullet-shaped steel collar comes out that retains the plastic driven gear and has threads at the top for the cable attachment. When you re-fit, be careful to align the hole in the collar with the Allen screw-pin.

The drive gear - more a ring that's part of the diff - may well be impossible to remove without taking the diff apart.

This goes for most FIAT gearboxes that I've experienced, including the top-change one in my Uno Turbo - but it may very well be different to yours - you never know for certain what came out of the factory that day...!

-Alex

Back