General speaker removal(Jimbro)

Currently reading:
General speaker removal(Jimbro)

Brae91

hi all...

how do i get to the rear speakers out and can i just buy new ones (Pioneer) without changing any connections?

thanks

brian

I have to confess that I can't remember how that trim panel is fixed in. I have a suspicion that it is held in partially by the rear window glass but I could be completely wrong on the matter.

The speakers themselves are easily removed and replaced provided you can find some in the right size that aren't too deep. The depth is only really an issue on the passenger side of the car because of the fuel tank.

The ones in my car were fitted over the original trim and covered with their own speaker grills. Most people will have cut the speaker aperture out (usually quite crudely).

Best of luck!

Take out the spare wheel and push the speaker panel up. The hard part
is finding speakers that fit. I am struggling to find replacements at the
moment due to the fuel tank, Please let me know if you find anything suitable(y)

hi bludvl_x19

have u checked the speakers yet?

brian

Yes, I did. They are JBL 4x6' (not 6x4's apparently there is a difference) and the model number is GTO6426e. The newer model is the GTO6427. Here's a linky.

At the moment I have a pair of 3inch computer speakers in there (my brother had a play with my car one day and I couldn't be bothered changing them back) I know these aren't ideal, but I have found these similar speakers also from JBL Rickroll (Just kidding)

Cheers,

Michael

thanks bludvl_x19 for that(y)

i was wondering if u knew how much u paid for them....i just looked on ebay and they seem to be a good price at the moment...i just didn't wanna pay like double on ebay when i can get them in the stores....

thanks for the link i did look at it

thanks,

brian

thanks bludvl_x19 for that(y)

i was wondering if u knew how much u paid for them....i just looked on ebay and they seem to be a good price at the moment...i just didn't wanna pay like double on ebay when i can get them in the stores....

thanks for the link i did look at it

thanks,

brian

No Worries

The 4x6's were in the car when I got it, but I did do some investigating about 18months ago, and IIRC they were about $A70?? I will have a look on Sunday when I go back home again, as I'm not entirely sure about the price.

Michael

The X1/9 *never* came with front speakers as standard (as far as I am aware). Front/Rear fade controls on a stereo were a serious novelty even by the time they stopped making the car. You were lucky if you got stereo for most of the production life of the car.

Say you can see the speaker in between my steering wheel.....There is room to fit them tho btw.......

Attachments

• 3663242707a7151856257l.jpg
    3663242707a7151856257l.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 22
Thats strange. I have the same doorcards as you, but no speakers. Even the Bertone versions I have seen havent had speakers in the doors. Thats not to say that yours arent 'factory.'
What is the sound like out of your 'system'? I do realise that it is only a basic 4 speaker design, but it must be an improvement on the two mounted on the parcel shelf.

Michael

A friend of mine looked into this several years ago, as the manager of a car audio shop he pretty much knows his stuff and having bought an X1/9 wanted it to be as good as he can make it.

A few important points came out of the work

1) The cabin is too short to set up a decent sub. system, the reflection of the wave interferes with itself so you just get noise

2) The speakers behind the seats in the parcel shelf are actually quite good provided you get away from the original equipment

3) The best place for speakers in the front is in the dashboard facing the windscreen, not the driver or passenger. The windscreen reflects the sound waves very nicely.

The shallow dashboard and short cabin create all sorts of issues for audio systems, especially coupled with the fact that the cabin can be quite noisy when cruising on a motorway when you need a decent hifi the most.

Back