Some important info..

Currently reading:
Some important info..

R

RK

Hey Guys, Please read this may help you.

Thought this is quite important info on the bravo battery. I posted a problem about my 1.2 sx battery going completely dead in one day! When i mean dead i mean i had no central locking and not even a faint power light would come on. In my sx i have a sound system with 1 amp, a newly fitted alarm system and thats it, everything else standard. Anyways, I had a mechanic mate check it out. The outcome was that the alternator in the bravo does not give out a lot of current so therefore when i had everything on (lights, sound, fans etc) the battery was giving out more then it could and the alternator couldn't keep up (i was basically cooking my battery). I know this sounds minor but this really is a big problem i had to deal with! I have bought a new battery which is twice the size and was a ahrd fit but managed and will see how i get on!

Thanks for everyone who helps on the forum.....nice to know that there is help about!

RK

The FIAT massive! lol

why buy a bigger battery when you need a bigger altenator?

it will only really happen on 1.2's as the larger engine models all have bigger altenators.

ashtag2.jpg

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will Cost You MONEY!!

not trying to hijack this post but do you reckon the same would be possible with the 1.4 model?

Kris

as Ash said i would recomend getting a bigger alt aswell, as the larger battery will more than likely have a bigger draw and take alot more to recharge aswell, so you will suffer the same fate eventually.

when i had my 1.2 i was running 2 amps with all of my speakers running from them and never had an issue, and the poor stereo hardly ever got a break!

Andy_sx

alt

hi guys, you make a good point. How much does an updated alternator cost?

whilst upgrading the alt is a good point it may not be needed; if your original battery was already on the way out it wouldn't have been able to hold sufficient charge. see how you get on with a new battery for a bit.

1.gif

Um, dont do the above please, because if it IS your alt, and you drain that new battery fully just a few times, then you'll have killed it!

As above, its only really going to be a problem on a 1.2, and only really if you use additional power regularly. ie daytime running lights, sat navs, amps, car-phone chargers etc. You dont need to buy a physically bigger battery, to get a better one! I've never bought anything other than Bosch Silvertop heavy duty batteries which for your 1.2 will still come n at under £50. They have more CCA and a higher capacity than the standard battery but are the same size as the original.

An alternative solution is a solar trickle charger. I bought a 1.5W solar panel when i was putting my car off-road over the winter. It just plugged into the cigarette lighter, and provided over 1w of charge so long as it was daylight. I didn't know how long it was going to be off-road, was planed to have been 2 months, turned out it was 6! Anyway, it started first time, every time. Even after 6 months. I no longer need mine as i use the car daily now, so get in touch if you want it!

Alternatively, uprate your alternator as above. Price depends if its new, where you get it etc, but i think you can exchange your old one in for a partial refund on most new alternators anyway

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

I think we already established the battery was knackered? Theres a bet i wont be taking, lol

Buzz

I could use one of those trickle chargers Buzz. How much are they?

ozric.jpg

"Doctor said to give up Keee-Babs. I said 'No, no-no'"
cheers.gif

My Members Page

I paid a mere £20 for the 1.5W one, and it came with a cigarette lighter socket, and croc clips. They had 2.5 watt ones for about £30 i think.

Buzz

Nice. Will have to look out for one given that Shabash! will soon be hibernating each winter.

ozric.jpg

cheers.gif

My Members Page

Maplin mate. theyve got em on sale on the website, and the 2.5W ones are half price! :O fifteen quid!

Buzz

Nice. Ordered and on it's way. :)
Can use it to charge up the Cinq too. ;)
Cheers Buzz.

ozric.jpg

cheers.gif

My Members Page

Glad to be of help. Its no good to recharge a flat battery. Nowhere NEAR enough power. But if ya need/want a trickle charger, its the biz!
And since its solar powered, its effectively free and very environmentally friendly if you ignore the fact that its keeping a polluting car on the road. haha

Buzz

get a battery from halfords, they give u a lifetime or its 12 months or something like that so it it goes dead they will replace it nothing lost ey.

SIG1.jpg

or buy a yellow/ red top.... haven't run mine flat yet!!

style5,TommyK.png

signeon-1.jpg

Come Join the 5 pot club! Almost standard Mk1 HGT 73k - need new front screen & MOT!