General Smoking 2.3JTD

Currently reading:
General Smoking 2.3JTD

rapido741f

Hi all, I have a 2004 motorhome fitted with a 2.3JTD Fiat engine that has covered 15000 miles. The van has been serviced annually since new using a semi synthetic oil of the type recommended by Fiat. It has had an MOT and passed emmisions OK

I have noticed when I stop at a junction/ traffic lights, after a reasonable run ....engine hot... when I take off again a cloud of blue/white smoke appears for several seconds.The van pulls OK and I have no noticeable oil consumption. Also if I reverse on a steep slope the same thing happens. It was recommended that I put the van into a diesel expert as they had all the test equipment to check things out. They found nothing but recommended changing the oil separator found on the end of the cylinder head. This hasn't helped things. The van is under an extended warranty but I would like to know what the problem may be.

My van (2.3jtd 2003 with 45K miles) exhibits exactly the same issue as yours. I'm not calling it a problem yet because their is no loss of power or water or oil and as with yours, it passes the emmissions test. If I find an answer I will let you know!

Regards,

Colin.

I've got a 2004 Rapido 741F with a 2.3 JTD Maxi base vehicle -same thing - some blue smoke after pulling away and some on reversing - only 7,400 on the clock - any clues to this issue yet ???

There is another thread entitled '2.3jtd maxi 2004 probs' and Jim suggested using Forte oil seal conditioner. Seems 2003/04 could have been a bad batch of valve oil seals (gone brittle very early?). Anyway I am trying the stuff as well. Do a search on ebay for forte seal conditioner and in total pay about 13 quid. Got to be worth a try. Anyway it may take some time for the product to work if it is the problem so I'll let you know if i see any change.
Thanks ,
Colin.

Back