General Should there be a recall on Ducatos, Relays and Boxers?

Currently reading:
General Should there be a recall on Ducatos, Relays and Boxers?

I had a replacement engine bay fusebox put into my 2016 Ducato last week. There were signs of water damage and three fuses and an earth wire in the loom had melted. After reading this I am certain that a recall should be done on all of these vans this is not a coincidence.

Hopefully, this works and the thread can be accessed.

Good luck with that , water ingress on Seval vans has been known about for years and only few half hearted attempts have been made to fix it and these are well documented .

You have lived a very sheltered life , just check thro this forum and many other motorhome forums and these vans have suffered for years with water problems,and leaks with the electrics and gearbox troubles , goes back to the 1970s ...!!!

Water ingress both onto the fuse box and engine has been an ongoing thing since at least 2007.

The problem was a badly fitted scuttle just below the front windscreen allowing water to pour into the engine compartment.
FIAT 'said' this was fixed but the bodge was to spray Waxoyl type grease between the cams to protect the injectors, nothing done
on the scuttle though, so water still poured in.

Have a look at the bottom of the windscreen below the wipers and if you see ANY sort of gap between the screen and the scuttle then
this is where water will be getting into the engine compartment.
My cure was to re-fit the scuttle and glue it in place with one of the flexible 'SIKAFLEX' products. This has lasted now for over 10 years.

One other problem was only a single drain hole fitted to the near side of the vehicle (at least this was the case ith 2007 models). Park on a slope with this drain on the high side and water overflowed and ran down onto the engine. Easy to add a couple of extra drains (and pipes) to completely drain the scuttle.

Not looked at any newer Ducato's but would suspect this might still be an ongoing problem. Some of the 2007 to 2009 models you could put you finger behind the scuttle, this on a showroom vehicle.

Martin, GM6VXB

The facelifted models from 2015 have a one piece scuttle but can still suffer from the same problems with water ingress pouring onto electrics , pooling into the injector recesses and sitting on top of gearshift and seizing the selector shafts and allowing water into the gear box [ which fiat have never fitted a drain plug ..!!] like the earlier models .

I sealed my scuttle on my late preface lift model with "p" shaped moulding stuck between the windscreen and scuttle panels also enlarged the drain holes to 1/2 pipe and and dropped the pipes down past the engine . Worked ok till i sold it,..!!!

The facelifted models from 2015 have a one piece scuttle but can still suffer from the same problems with water ingress pouring onto electrics , pooling into the injector recesses and sitting on top of gearshift and seizing the selector shafts and allowing water into the gear box [ which fiat have never fitted a drain plug ..!!] like the earlier models .

I sealed my scuttle on my late preface lift model with "p" shaped moulding stuck between the windscreen and scuttle panels also enlarged the drain holes to 1/2 pipe and and dropped the pipes down past the engine . Worked ok till i sold it,..!!!
I have a 2016 van now and have been watching a few videos on Youtube I'm thinking about going removing the scuttle to clean it all back and going down the sikaflex route. The 1/2 pipe sounds a lot easier than what I was planning so that sounds like a plan, just out of curiosity would you have a link for the P shaped moulding?

Something like this

https://www.toolstation.com/stormgu...c9V3hyDa-v4MKAbTNsAaAglQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The moulding was suggested on a m/h site, its readily available on line from vehicle trimmers , i bought mine [ various sizes available ] from a supplier in the south of england and adapted some wireing bulkhead fittings bonded to the scuttle to mount the pipes .

The moulding was suggested on a m/h site, its readily available on line from vehicle trimmers , i bought mine [ various sizes available ] from a supplier in the south of england and adapted some wireing bulkhead fittings bonded to the scuttle to mount the pipes .
Many thanks, camionpilot.

water running down the scuttle panels has written off more vauxhall vivaros then any other issue ,wiring/sensors at back of engine and injectors rusted into the head (£2K+ fix with a new head and injectors ) all caused by water ingress past the windscreen,,,fiat are not alone on this one,, just very poor plastic mouldings and seals

Back