General Service me happy

Currently reading:
General Service me happy

Just to report that our 1.2 had its second service at 2 years and 13,000 miles last week (including having the brake fluid was changed), having had a "low mileage" service at 12 months. Both performed by Glyn Hopkin in St Albans.

Everything was done that was meant to be done (so far as I can tell anyway). They also repainted the rear parking sensors which had flaked off. (The advice is not to jet wash them - I mention that as someone else has had the same problem I think.)

I was offered a courtesy car, although I didn't need one. They price matched to a cheaper dealer in the area and cleaned the car inside and out.

Best of all there was no drama and no attempt to tell me my brakes were worn out (or other similar cash generating high jinks). They just did what they said they would, when they said they would.

So with the low mileage service costing £140 and this one coming in at £214 I am paying the princely sum of £3.40 a week (£14.75 a month) for the warm glow of a full main dealer service history. Lovely.

Just to report that our 1.2 had its second service at 2 years and 13,000 miles last week (including having the brake fluid was changed), having had a "low mileage" service at 12 months. Both performed by Glyn Hopkin in St Albans.

Everything was done that was meant to be done (so far as I can tell anyway). They also repainted the rear parking sensors which had flaked off. (The advice is not to jet wash them - I mention that as someone else has had the same problem I think.)

I was offered a courtesy car, although I didn't need one. They price matched to a cheaper dealer in the area and cleaned the car inside and out.

Best of all there was no drama and no attempt to tell me my brakes were worn out (or other similar cash generating high jinks). They just did what they said they would, when they said they would.

So with the low mileage service costing £140 and this one coming in at £214 I am paying the princely sum of £3.40 a week (£14.75 a month) for the warm glow of a full main dealer service history. Lovely.

You meant service me expensive = ).

You know despite all my warranty work, i do not remember one time when the dealer asked or checked if my car was serviced by a main dealer. Anyone over there in the UK prepared to share their opinion/experience on this for their warranty work?

They also repainted the rear parking sensors which had flaked off. (The advice is not to jet wash them - I mention that as someone else has had the same problem I think.)

I put this in a post last week after noticing your comment. Mine are holding up ok after a full coating of BNW touch up paint.(y)

I paid for the service plan on both of my 500's. £14.95 per month for 3 years servicing. Spreads the cost and means I can borrow any car in the range for a weekend if I need something bigger. It's so cheap to service anyway, there's no need to go outside of Fiat main dealer servicing unless you are just tight...LOL

Last edited:
I paid for the service plan on both of my 500's. £14.95 per month for 3 years servicing. Spreads the cost and means I can borrow any car in the range for a weekend if I need something bigger. It's so cheap to service anyway, there's no need to go outside of Fiat main dealer servicing unless you are just tight...LOL

When it comes to getting your brake pads changed or as a number have done on the 1.2 getting the brake discs changed as well, you might be in for a little shock. Unless of course you can negotiate on the full Fiat labour rate. Does the 3 year service plan include brakes or is there a mileage restriction on it ? Is there a brake fluid change factored in at year 2 ?

Last edited:

I'm not tight by any means, however, I certainly am careful about how much people are charging me! I'm assuming you're paying £14.95 for both cars (that's the way I'm reading it) or is it £14.95 for each car? If it is the latter, I wouldn't pay nearly £540 over three years for servicing on our own POP, that just doesn't make financial sense in my own view. I anticipate next years service won't cost anymore than £140 and that is with me getting my local mechanic to do the brake fluid change and he is cheaper than Fiat will charge.

I'll always shop around. Makes perfect sense in these difficult times.

Got a quote for the 36k full fat service, 450 euros! For this all they do is check timing belt, oil and filters and brake fluid. Indie it is then = )

There's a plug change as well, but 450 euros is still silly money.
:yeahthat:
Ask for the quote in writing with a break down of how that cost is arrived at. If they have 'pulled that figure from the air' they clearly don't want your business. The OH got stung with a bill like that at 34K on a MJ but it included the brakes. Given how 'tight' things are at the moment I reckon that garage would be open to negotiation. Generally if anything needs to be done under warranty (yours is nearly up) you can get it done for 'free'. I've had the rear calipers on the ex-1.4 done complimentary.

:yeahthat:
Ask for the quote in writing with a break down of how that cost is arrived at. If they have 'pulled that figure from the air' they clearly don't want your business. The OH got stung with a bill like that at 34K on a MJ but it included the brakes. Given how 'tight' things are at the moment I reckon that garage would be open to negotiation. Generally if anything needs to be done under warranty (yours is nearly up) you can get it done for 'free'. I've had the rear calipers on the ex-1.4 done complimentary.

They said if you do it before end july the labor is free so that comes to 300 euros then. Still i think thats too much for no reason, these are simple cars.

They said if you do it before end july the labor is free so that comes to 300 euros then. Still i think thats too much for no reason, these are simple cars.

On the 'full fat' can you confirm if it is the following...

Pollen filter
air filter
brake fluid change
spark plugs
oil & filter change - is the Selenia oil or is it from the 'big drum' ?
Software update with the Examiner
cleaning the calipers on the rear on the 1.4
topping up fluids e.g. clutch & water bottle with an additive
greasing a few hinges

that would come to about 2 hours labour plus parts but there should be a bit more room for negotiation.

There are no tappets to adjust like on the 1.2. Not too sure if I've missed anything ?

On the 'full fat' can you confirm if it is the following...

Pollen filter
air filter
brake fluid change
spark plugs
oil & filter change - is the Selenia oil or is it from the 'big drum' ?
Software update with the Examiner
cleaning the calipers on the rear on the 1.4
topping up fluids e.g. clutch & water bottle with an additive
greasing a few hinges

that would come to about 2 hours labour plus parts but there should be a bit more room for negotiation.

There are no tappets to adjust like on the 1.2. Not too sure if I've missed anything ?

Yes thats about right + checking the timing belt. I dont see all this being too complicated so i think i'll take it to the indie especially as the vehicle will be out of warranty by the time i service it.

Its selenia oil, which is so expensive it is as if it is made from pure gold.

Last edited:
Back