Technical Rough/Juddering Idle

Currently reading:
Technical Rough/Juddering Idle

deadlok

I've believe i've already diagnosed this, just don't have a way to test it will fix the issue without buying the part.

My girlfriends 500 1.2 8v sometimes idles poorly and judders.

I found a broken connection on the airbox next to where the crankcase breather is (there is a smaller rubber hose not sure of its function atm)

It will require a replacement airbox to fix this.

Would that cause idle problems? I didnt think there was a vacuum at that place.

I have connected my ODB2 reader to Torque android app and there are no fault codes, I figured a misfire should show up there.

Last edited:
I've believe i've already diagnosed this, just don't have a way to test it will fix the issue without buying the part.

My girlfriends 500 1.2 8v sometimes idles poorly and judders.

I found a broken connection on the airbox next to where the crankcase breather is (there is a smaller rubber hose not sure of its function atm)

It will require a replacement airbox to fix this.

Would that cause idle problems? I didnt think there was a vacuum at that place.

I have connected my ODB2 reader to Torque android app and there are no fault codes, I figured a misfire should show up there.

Hi if you search there is an illustrated repair of the breather pope to airbox connection on the forum.

Hi if you search there is an illustrated repair of the breather pope to airbox connection on the forum.
Is there? I've never seen one.

Are you in warranty or out? If you're in then get it done under warranty and kick up a massive stink, if not then see if you can put a brass plumbing fixture in the back and glue it in place or something like that :)

Hi, I have the same problem with my 1.2 2009 500. I have already replaced two breather pipes, which were completely clogged up and cracked. The rough juddering idle is still there and seems to be getting worse. I can't find any more cracked breather pipes or anything, and Fiat have been completely useless, not replying to my emails or phone calls (I have rung the dealer I bought it from and that has serviced it etc 3 or 4 times now and sent a few emails).
As it is out of warranty, I don't really know what to do other than to go to Fiat and get annoyed! As I'm a woman, they always try to make me feel silly!

:yeahthat:

When were the plugs last changed? Look back through your detailed service receipts to find out - they should be listed separately under "Parts".

As it is out of warranty, I don't really know what to do other than to go to Fiat and get annoyed!

Not much point in going back to FIAT if it's out of warranty. A decent independent garage would be a better (and likely cheaper) choice.

Last edited:
Back