Styling Restoring Black Plastic Bumpers

Currently reading:
Styling Restoring Black Plastic Bumpers

Peter James

Discovered how the professionals do this - with a hot air paint stripper gun to melt the surface. Obviously you must not hold the gun on long enough to melt and distort the plastic. Too little is better than too much because you can always go back over it. And make sure they are clean before you start - doesn't matter if they are wet as the gun will dry them before it melts the plastic surface. But I managed to do mine alright and they now look like new again. Not all the plastics are the same though. The plastic over the rear number plate does not look any better, neither does the radiator grille. But the big areas at the front and rear bumper certainly do (y)

I've got my own garage an car sales,you need a product called revamp,
It's a gel that restores all plastic trim and bumpers.
Look on fleabay for it.
300810139658 item number.

I've got my own garage an car sales,you need a product called revamp,
It's a gel that restores all plastic trim and bumpers.
Look on fleabay for it.
300810139658 item number.

I haven't tried that one.
But have tried lots of others. Probably the best I have tried was 'Astonish' from the pound shop. Went on easily and looked great. But none of them lasted more than a few days. Some ran in streaks when it rained and looked awful. But I guess they would look great as long as the car remained in the showroom.
PS: Olive oil goes on easily and looks great, until road dirt sticks to it. Again, I guess this isn't a problem in the showroom.

Last edited:
ON Sun bleached plastics
For Black plastic use some used engine oil wipe on and a few min's later wipe back off
On other colours use clean engine oil the more you use it the longer it keeps it colour

Mine are outside,the gel works for weeks.
If you look for DVS car care products,they do small 250 ml bottles of other stuff.
Try them.

Back