General Reset Button?

Currently reading:
General Reset Button?

Another "What is this" question. Some kind of a reset button? It is located in the engine bay, mounted adjacent to an Electro-Valve on the DS Wheel Well.

Speaking of that Electro-Valve. In "Dummies" terms, what exactly does it do?

20200628_123727.jpg
20200628_124405.jpg
20200628_125004.jpg

An Electro-Valve is an electrically operated valve.

On Fiats, it's used to control the supply of engine vacuum to operate one or more vacuum operated units - afaik this is to control emissions.

The 'button' you mention is a test button to operate the electro-valve and iirc is pressed and held while adjusting the fast-idle speed to 1600 rpm. While pressing the test button, you have to bring the engine speed up to 2500 rpm and allow it to drop down to the fast idle speed to see where it's at and you then adjust to 1600 rpm if it's incorrect. This adjustment is carried out by turning the screw in the centre of the fast idle diaphragm device on the carb. The fast idle diaphragm device is the lower of 2 on one side of the carb and is connected by a link to the primary barrel throttle plate, (i.e. it acts to prevent the throttle plate /butterfly valve from closing completely, thereby raising the idle speed). The fast idle speed doesn't usually need any adjustment.

The above info is for a carb. model, which I assume your car being a '78 is.

Al.

Last edited:
An Electro-Valve is an electrically operated valve.

On Fiats, it's used to control the supply of engine vacuum to operate one or more vacuum operated units - afaik this is to control emissions.

The 'button' you mention is a test button to operate the electro-valve and iirc is pressed and held while adjusting the fast-idle speed to 1600 rpm. While pressing the test button, you have to bring the engine speed up to 2500 rpm and allow it to drop down to the fast idle speed to see where it's at and you then adjust to 1600 rpm if it's incorrect. This adjustment is carried out by turning the screw in the centre of the fast idle diaphragm device on the carb. The fast idle diaphragm device is the lower of 2 on one side of the carb and is connected by a link to the primary barrel throttle plate, (i.e. it acts to prevent the throttle plate /butterfly valve from closing completely, thereby raising the idle speed). The fast idle speed doesn't usually need any adjustment.

The above info is for a carb. model, which I assume your car being a '78 is.

Al.
I was going to ask a similar question just moments before seeing this post thank you.

Back