General Rebuild or engine swap

Currently reading:
General Rebuild or engine swap

Flappjak

Right so I presume I've blown my piston ring in cylinder 4 as I have no compression, so would it be easier to swap the engine for a 1.2 punto engine which I've been wanting to do for a while or strip the original engine down and rebuild it? It's a 900 L dance

If the compression is totally zero it might be a cracked valve missing a piece, like a pizza without one slice :) If it pumps "something" it might be the ring?

"Pizza" variant is cheapper to repair,often ends without any other damage, missing valve piece is somewhere in the exhaust or already out. Just buy one new valve and some gaskets, second variant might bring some damage to the piston and or sleeve.

the 903cc engine makes it more difficult to swap to the FIRE engine the puntos use. its not impossible to do it though. if you chose to do an engine swap, the cinquecento section would be the best to ask questions as the 903cc engine and the 899cc engine are pretty much the same.

personally i would try and repair the engine. i am quite a fan of the 903cc engine.

or if the head is good just replace the block and pistons with one from a cinquecento as they are both the same engine from the head down you would however have to figure out how to get the distributor to work with the cinqucento block as there is no "hole" for it. you would also need an electronic fuel pump.

you could also replace the engine fully with one from a cinquecento. all the engine mounts will line up. the only issue will be wiring in the newer fuel injected engine and also adding an electronic fuel pump.

I do really love the sound and nippyness of the 903 but I'd like a bit more power, and we've not had a proper look at the engine yet as we've not had time but it's only firing on three cylinders but we do have a spark, when I first tried to start it it went with a tink and then started to run rubbish

Back