Technical rear shock advice

Currently reading:
Technical rear shock advice

jpuk

hi i have noticed a small oil leak on my garage floor had a look underneath and the passenger rear shock is leaking so i popped along to our local ats centre they had a look on the lift took the wheel off and said they couldn't get to the top nut and that the rear axle needed to be dropped a few mm to get to it !!! i thought this a bit strange so am looking for advice as i'm sure i could do this myself. my car is a 2007 fiat multipla that has a brotherwood wheeelchair conversion,cheers,John

It could well be the dropped floor of the Brotherwood conversion that's causing the problem. On a standard Multipla, access to the top shock absorber bolt is simple. I've never had a chance to look under a Brotherwood car, but when I see how much they lowered the floor I can well imagine it would make life more difficult for maintenance under the back end of the car.

Yes have a go yourself(-:

The top bolt of the shock unscrews from a captive nut welded to the rear subframe.

If you have decent jacks and stands it is relatively easy to drop the rear of the rear subframe slightly.

Best wishes

Jack

Back