General Rear Lights..... DOH !!

Currently reading:
General Rear Lights..... DOH !!

jonli125

Ive had problems with my rear lights since i bought the cinq they were really dim so ive had them apart checked the bulbs even thought about changing the lenses as they are smoked and were like this when i bought it. A lad pulled me in Asda and said he was behind me and my brake lights were not working and my main lights were barely visable.So i took them apart changed the bulbs checked i had the correct bulbs still no difference.I then took a closer look at the lenses the smoking looked like a diy job with a tin of black paint i gave them a good scrub with a brillo pad and hey presto we have light.I cant believe the previous owner would do this and i bought it with a full M.o.t from a garage how did it get through ??

You will be surprised what can get through mot sometimes specially if the place was a bit dodgy... Seems like a borge made by a boy/lady racer. Young person by any chance ??

You will be surprised what can get through mot sometimes specially if the place was a bit dodgy... Seems like a borge made by a boy/lady racer. Young person by any chance ??

yeah, I think a young kid had it before me it had a huge chrome extension thing on the end of the exhaust that lit up when i bought it.

That old chesnut is still doing the rounds then?

An old trick of the trade with anything modded thats easily interchangeable like that

Put standard ones on, test it, get 12 months ticket, take the standard lights off, put the modified lights back on, charge a few hundred £ more because its 'modified'

A lot of faffing about i agree, cant see the point in it but youll always get someone who will pay more for a 'modified' car or a car that looks a bit diiferent to the norm

However how come you didnt say anything when you bought it? Surely you mustve noticed it like that on purchase?

Last edited:
Ive got smoked lenses on my vespa which were bought. It passes its test no probs when i saw the cinq lights i thought they were fine.I didnt think anyone would spray paint them for effect.

As for the M.o.t. thats another story 2 days after i bought it i went around a roundabout and the front strutt collapsed so i tried to contacted the garage that sold it to me,The lad who tested it came around and gave me my money back that i paid for the car and said i could keep the car as long as i didnt contact vosa.Which was never mentioned i just expected them to fix it.

Well at least the car doesn't owe you anything now. is be tempted to fix it up and report them to visa the next time they try a trick like that someone could he killed. where about in the UK are ya?

North East ....Hartlepool Area..... He said he didnt usually bother with these cars as they are not worth the hassle and wished he had never sold the one i bought.He was super quick to come and speak to me.

Sounds like all the more reason to report him to VOSA. Something dodgy going on here. I'd probably want to get it MOTd at a council place right now in case there are any other potentially lethal defects present.

Cheers

D

One of my friends bought a Ka a few weeks back from a reputable dealer - when she went to insure it the car turned out to be a CatA writeoff and for obvious reasons they refused to provide insurance on it.

Said dealer gave a full refund without question but he must have known, there were no arguments about it. How he thought he would get away with it is a mystery. The other question is how did he get the car? I thought Cat As had to be completely destroyed and none of the parts reused...

Advised her the same re. VOSA but have no idea if anything was done about it.

One of my friends bought a Ka a few weeks back from a reputable dealer - when she went to insure it the car turned out to be a CatA writeoff and for obvious reasons they refused to provide insurance on it.

Said dealer gave a full refund without question but he must have known, there were no arguments about it. How he thought he would get away with it is a mystery. The other question is how did he get the car? I thought Cat As had to be completely destroyed and none of the parts reused...

Advised her the same re. VOSA but have no idea if anything was done about it.

I think you are allowed to export the car.

Back