Technical Re-wire all speakers completely

Currently reading:
Technical Re-wire all speakers completely

daz4mile

I'm thinking to re-wire all speakers from the speaker to the head unit / closest best option. I'm aware it will involve pulling up carpets and panels.

Has anybody done this? Is it worth doing?

I bought 6x9's for parcel shelf and one blew and also new door speakers and one blew. Then put small original sized 13cm Pioneer speakers in the back whilst waiting for new 6x9's and one of the 13cm speakers has also blown. So I suspect there is something wrong with the wiring. I am not currently running an amp atm, just an after market Sony stereo.

Could there be something wrong with the original 20 year old wires? Why would all the speakers keep blowing?

All/any advice/diagrams much appreciated.

Thanks

Darren.
Punto 2004, 1.2 active sport 3 door

What head unit are you using ?

There are a lot of things to consider such as the impedance of the speaker, the power output and the power handling of the head unit and the speakers, the way you’re using them ie cranking the volume right up. The quality of the signal, a crap head unit can damage even very expensive speakers if the signal is bad/noisy.

If you’re going for a high quality set up then changing the wires might be worth while but if you’re using a £50 head unit and £20 speakers probably not

What head unit are you using ?

There are a lot of things to consider such as the impedance of the speaker, the power output and the power handling of the head unit and the speakers, the way you’re using them ie cranking the volume right up. The quality of the signal, a crap head unit can damage even very expensive speakers if the signal is bad/noisy.

If you’re going for a high quality set up then changing the wires might be worth while but if you’re using a £50 head unit and £20 speakers probably not
I've got a nice Sony head unit, and I have some JBL gto speakers ready to go in. Thanks for your reply, I have a project ahead of me.

When I bought the car, the speakers that were in it already were also blown, so there's definitely an issue somewhere I'd say.

Regards

I've got a nice Sony head unit, and I have some JBL gto speakers ready to go in. Thanks for your reply, I have a project ahead of me.

When I bought the car, the speakers that were in it already were also blown, so there's definitely an issue somewhere I'd say.

Regards
The issue with rewiring is that the wires have to run through the big plugs that connect the wiring in the doors to the wiring in the body of the car. There is no neat way to achieve this without running the wires through those plugs. Running the wires un protected through the door shuts usually results in the wires getting trapped and shorting out.

I would make sure that no one has been chopping the wires about behind the radio first. Then get a multi meter to check the connections between the radio and the speakers making sure there are no shorts to ground.

Back