Quick GT Question

Currently reading:
Quick GT Question

Is it just me, or does GT4 have COMPLEATLY different handling to any of the earlier instalments? :confused:

I'm really good at Gran Turismo 1-3 but number 4 just doesnt work for me :chin:

anyone else felt this? and did you manage to alter your driving style to combat it?

i always found that the first ones you would have to powerslide/drift more to get round tracks quickly, whereas the gt4 slows you down a lot more in most cases to do the same, which is harder to acheive. still good though.

whats the fastest that anyones got a car upto on GT4? mine is 280 i think. just wanna get 300mph no particular advantage to it but just interested, and been bored lol.

serin said:
what?

nought wrong with a PS2, i have an xbox, and it lives with my iMac gathering dust under my bed :p
I have a PS2 but I gave that to my dog to play with.

Oh hang on it was my daughter she just bites it though :D

some of us dont have really fun jobs with huge pay, so cant afford xbox360s et al when they first come out :(

so im stuck with the ps2

serin said:
some of us dont have really fun jobs with huge pay, so cant afford xbox360s et al when they first come out :(

so im stuck with the ps2
And some of us didn't get those jobs handed to us on a plate either. I used to be skint all the time so I know what it's like, just havin a bit of fun at the PS2's expense as I have never liked the system. I owned one when it first came out and got bored very fast, traded it in for an Xbox and never looked back. I am entitled to dislike a system regardless of what job I do, I would think the same if I had no money at all.

BTW I don't get huge pay. It's good pay but I aint rich from it, I got 5 kids to look after but I make sacrifices ;)

gettin back on topic.... i own a copy of every version of gt, and they hardly get played anymore, cant stand the endurance races, who wants to sit going round the same track for hours on end :confused:

would much rather stick on need for speed underground, turn the traction controll off, and drift my modded skyline around every corner :worship:

I started playing GT4 again a few days ago, bought a Glanza (newer version of my car :p) and all the 106's and by god the 106's are fast once you sort the handling out lol!

KoArAnG said:
just havin a bit of fun at the PS2's expense as I have never liked the system. I owned one when it first came out and got bored very fast, traded it in for an Xbox and never looked back.

You probably got bored very fast because it took about a year until decent games started coming out, and god knows how many years later the PS2 has a f*cking fantastic selection of games. Of course you're entitled to not like the PS2 regardless, but it seems to me like you're not even giving it a chance...

Anyway onto GT4 and yep, the handling is much more complex than in GT3. There's a lot more emphasis on braking and weight transfer and the game can catch you out on many occasions. Stick with it though and the handling becomes your best friend, especially when you click with a car and shunt seconds off your lap times.

GT4 is by far one of the most highly polished and gargantuan games of modern times and I love it to pieces, and it looks fantastic, too. Endurance races are definitely gaming marmite, but hey, if you don't like them, don't do them. You can even have the game do them for you thanks to B-spec mode. Not that that would be any fun.

FuzzyPanda said:
You probably got bored very fast because it took about a year until decent games started coming out, and god knows how many years later the PS2 has a f*cking fantastic selection of games. Of course you're entitled to not like the PS2 regardless, but it seems to me like you're not even giving it a chance...

Anyway onto GT4 and yep, the handling is much more complex than in GT3. There's a lot more emphasis on braking and weight transfer and the game can catch you out on many occasions. Stick with it though and the handling becomes your best friend, especially when you click with a car and shunt seconds off your lap times.

GT4 is by far one of the most highly polished and gargantuan games of modern times and I love it to pieces, and it looks fantastic, too. Endurance races are definitely gaming marmite, but hey, if you don't like them, don't do them. You can even have the game do them for you thanks to B-spec mode. Not that that would be any fun.
I still own a PS2 as I bought another one for Virtua fighter 4 about 18 months ago, with 24 other games but I don't play it, and the games got boring very fast other than VF4 but that's down to Sega not sony. So not giving it a chance is not the case. It's not a pure gamers console, Nintendo and Sega consoles are, Xboxs are a very close second and I am sure some proper gamers will not disagree there. EH Custard ;)
Don't forget I am in the games developement business so I have to give all consoles a chance and have extensive knowledge of most hardware and software.

Last edited:
It's basically how the games feel, the pure playability of the Nintendo and sega games. It's very hard to achieve that perfection but Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo has done that on countless occasions as has Yu Suzuki of Sega. Sony have failed to emulate these two genius's of the gaming world, but no none can blame them, they would not stand a chance. Sony have basically bought their way into the minds of casual gamers and some games have even tempted the hardcore purist to buy the machines but they will always be second best, as will anyone until they realise it's not all about flashy graphics and fancy advertising.

I only ever got round to playing the Demo/Early release of GT4 me and my brothers decided not to purchase it as it was very much the same as the others and boring because there was not enough "action" on the track like in other good racing games. This being down to the fact that the PS2 is a low powered console and can't do the whole more then 6 cars on the track at once and look good at the same time. I did like the penalty for hitting walls as in two player mode in previous GT installments, poor opponents would just use the walls and wouldn't lose enough time for it to be a sacrafice and often it gained them time as they didn't slow down as much.

All the Need For Speeds that were released on the PS2 were poor in comparison to the Xbox, GameCube and PC.

The PS2 blatently struggles to render graphics and as a result the developers either reduce the viewing distance to infront of your face or make it so blurry its like you are driving with "I forgot my glasses" simulation on.

I don't particularly like the xBox either but when it comes to performance the xBox does walk all over the PS2 and performance is what counts when playing racing games and I am a racer more then anything else.

Back