Punto Mk2B Car Grills (and the point of them)

Currently reading:
Punto Mk2B Car Grills (and the point of them)

Fasckira

So, my new replacement debadged grill for the punto arrived and like any true impatient little bugger I set to work removing the old grill asap but as I lifted the bonnet to look for the bolts I noticed that it was solid metal all the way along the front.
This was confirmed as soon as I lifted off the old grill to see that it was just like the normal Mk2 on the front, just with a slight indentation where the plastic grill sits! It makes me wonder why Fiat even bothered to go through with the facelift as its now established that it really doesnt improve performance in anyway :p

So now, if I put the new grill on, when you look at the front all you can see is the bright yellow behind a relatively open weave grill - looks like a bumblebee.

My plan is to spray that indentation either black or dark red (havent decided yet, though black seems better) then fit the grill, what do you think?

That's what I had to do when I put the badgeless mesh grille on my Stilo. There was a body coloured support directly behind the original grille and it stood out quite a bit. Masked it off and sprayed it black - it's a little chipped now after a year and a half, but still looks good.

Guessing this would work fine with the Mk2b backing. I'd advise though that you use proper car bodywork paint, as the relatively cheap paint I used (3 coats of matt black and 3 coats of matt lacquer clear coat - both general craft type paint) though lasting well isn't probably the most durable.

The most nerve racking thing for me was masking it off and and then hoping I didn't over-spray anything, but it turned out fine. Here's a pic of mine mid-way through...

picture.php

Aye, I was expecting a support but not a solid panel which lets no air whatsoever in, the existing "grill" is really really pointless. Been messing around in photoshop and Im definitely going with the black paint. The dark red just clashes to much.

I plan to do it this weekend so Ill snap a few pics to show the true before/after set up.

I guess since the mk2 was just a solid bonnet in that area before, they only reshaped it and popped a fake grille on for the mk2b, since the radiator sits low enough for the bottom grille(s).

Forgot to mention, especially as it'll be a larger area than I painted - probably best to lightly sand the area to be painted, then prime and paint. Hopefully that way it'll last longer as it'll adhere to the metal a lot better.

I didn't even bother doing that with mine - probably explains the mild chip of paint that's been taken off. Only cost £5 odd for me to do though, so not that bothered :D

And the deed is done!

Getting the missus to do the cleaning for me:

16559_307828750023_809985023_9575960_3513322_n.jpg

My car gets into the newspaper:

16559_307828760023_809985023_9575961_5621739_n.jpg

Im getting a bit nervous around this stage, panicking that Ive left a gap in the newspaper somewhere:

16559_307828770023_809985023_9575962_5299315_n.jpg

Took the paper off and really impressed with how good a job I managed:

16559_307828780023_809985023_9575963_3255709_n.jpg

Photo 1 with the grill:

16559_307828790023_809985023_9575964_1238578_n.jpg

Photo 2 with the grill, catching the light - should have really used a less shiny lacquer but that should hopefully dull down a bit:

16559_307831620023_809985023_9576043_209272_n.jpg

And one of the fiat-scotland sticker which despite 15 minutes careful planning I still managed to mess up the alignment. Going to have to order a new one and redo it at some point:

16559_307831655023_809985023_9576046_3898012_n.jpg

Looks great (y)

The light catching it is something I've noticed with mine as well. It'll always be visible to an extent, but certainly doesn't draw the eye to it. Plus you could probably go over it with a more matt lacquer to dull it down I'd guess. Still though, as I said it looks great.

Martyn said:
Must say, it's amazing what subtle changes can make to the car - especially loving that sticker there! Will be interesting to see how many recruits you drum up! (y)

Not sure how many recruits for a Scottish Fiat enthusiasts website Ill drum up here in Jersey but you never know! :p

EDIT: Also, the eBay seller asked how the mod had gone so I sent him a picture, and hes updated his ebay page:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-Punto-Mk...arParts_SM?hash=item2a0207638a#ht_3372wt_1134

Nice bit of recognition there!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Fasckira said:
Not sure how many recruits for a Scottish Fiat enthusiasts website Ill drum up here in Jersey but you never know! :p

EDIT: Also, the eBay seller asked how the mod had gone so I sent him a picture, and hes updated his ebay page:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-Punto-Mk...arParts_SM?hash=item2a0207638a#ht_3372wt_1134

Nice bit of recognition there!

Great to see the eBay seller using that pic BUT he may get his hands burnt when people take off their standard grille to fit the new mesh one and find it's not already painted black :eek:

Still though, your Punto'll get some more internet fame :D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
muppet42 said:
Great to see the eBay seller using that pic BUT he may get his hands burnt when people take off their standard grille to fit the new mesh one and find it's not already painted black :eek:

Still though, your Punto'll get some more internet fame :D

Well I did warn him when he originally asked for pics that I had to paint it first so thats his problem :p

Back