Technical Punto engine in X19

Currently reading:
Technical Punto engine in X19

Hi I have bought an engine from a punto 1.6 sporting.

It is fuel injected, and I do not have the ECU.

Can I run it with the carburettor?, and what about the Ignition, how can I run electronic ignition?

Or am I better to get an ECU , in which case how do I put it onto the X19 wiring loom?
Thats it for now !

The quick option would be to buy an aftermarket ECU (omex, dta, etc) but with rolling road time for mapping it is not likely to be cheap (typically in the region of £1000 if not more).

The cheap option is to find the ECU you need from a breakers and take the entire engine bay wiring loom as this will include all the wires you need. Then you need to find a wiring diagram and start labelling all the wires and stripping out the ones you don't need. Typically you'll find it is pretty much self contained and there are just 2 or 3 that need to be spliced in but there is also a lot of excess wiring you don't need.

It sounds like a headache but it usually isn't that bad. I've done the same on installing a Mk1 Uno Turbo and it was just a couple of idle evening's work. The hard part is stripping off the old wiring tape so you seperate the wires out!

Back