General Proud New Owner

Currently reading:
General Proud New Owner

Ah right. In that case its best to strip the trim out of the back + carpets & get someone to jetwash the panel joins/glazing it while you watch from inside. Is there any staining on the headlining? Can be rust under the roof gutter trims or the boot seal.

I think it's the door seal. Not in the best of shapes and the back seats are bone dry and everything behind them.
Had the seats folded forward a while and still dry so must be leaking low down

Well I did say it would be slow progress. Fuel tank and exhaust are now both on. After some minor modification to the size of the mid pipe.
The more I fix the more issues I find.

The spring bolts on exhaust won't tighten enough and now one of the nuts is free spinning on the thread.
Ever so slight exhaust leak still from this. Head gasket is toasted. Internal blower fan seems to have stopped working and I think I found the cause of my water leak.
See the picture for what I found under the driver's door seal.

Does anyone know what wires are meant to run to the stereo? They've been butchered. I have the speaker wires, 4 in total, a black wire and a brown wire. Nothing else

Attachments

• 1458067915665.jpg
    1458067915665.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 28
An exhaust sealant might help with the minor leak.

Head gasket isn't too bad if you know what you doing. New gasket is about £12 I think. Might be worth doing water pump and cambelt at the same. It is time consuming though.

Nasty rust hole you got there. In fact I think that is more or less where mine was. Previous owner had it welded.

Bet you're having loads of fun though ;)

I'm certainly sore this morning.
The exhaust is leaking on the spring bolt connection with the wirey gasket between joints, can't think of the name for it.

As for head gasket, I've done countless 1.2 punto head gaskets which are pretty much the same engine. I can do the full job properly in a touch over 3 hours.
I was planning thermostat change and oil change so lucky I've waited and not done them yet

Mot on Thursday before work. Done some paint restore today. Not happy with the finish but the colour difference is great

Attachments

• 1464116188859.jpg
    1464116188859.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 1464116199552.jpg
    1464116199552.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 23
Well, good news and bad news.
Good news is that she passed!
Bad news is the insurance quotes are coming back higher than anticipated!

Is there any decent classic insurance suppliers that cover under 30s?
I'm told my age and a Manchester postcode stops most under writers from even giving a quote

Not sure if you've tried Footman James? Admittedly I'm in my late 30's but I'm only paying £83 a year with them.

I tried footman James and Peter James but neither would quote me online. I am over 25. She is now insured and on the road though :) she cruises very smooth at 70. Quite pleased

Back