Problem with USB Stick in my 500

Currently reading:
Problem with USB Stick in my 500

catherinej

Hoping you can help me guys as I am truly stumped. Yes I've read the handbook and it hasn't really helped me.

I bought a new Sandisk Cruzer Slice 4gb today.

I have copied my music onto it using Double Twist, which coverted all my ipod tracks into MP3 format. Have used this a lot before successfully with a Nokia E63 pnone.

So I have been out to the car, plugged the usb into the slot and followed the instructions.

Now althought the Autoplay is switched on it isn't autoplaying. When I go through the main menu and select folders I get the messange "no media". Then if I go via playlist, it finds the playlist, but then tells me "bad media"

So can anyone help me?

Many thanks in Advance.

Re: Problem with USB Stick

Bit odd, but it sounds to me that the stick needed to be formatted before the music was copied on to it.

Shouldn't need to be it's just that's what a PC would say if it needed formating OR if the stick had a problem.

I don't have my 500 yet so dunno which file system the usb sticks need to have, but I would guess it's FAT32 as Microsoft developed Blue&me with Fiat (as far as I know).

Failing all that, it depends on the bitrate you used for the MP3 files but I am not sure which bitrates the car's system supports yet.

Not a lot of help I know, but I thought as no one else had replied yet, I'd have a stab at it :D

I would reformat the stick using FAT32 and move a two tracks that are mp3 over to the stick and test it in the car.

The delete the tracks and copy the same two over using doubletwist.

If you can play both tracks both times then everything is fine and then you can go for it with the your full sticks worth

Ive used doubletwist and im sure it worked fine but sometimes the media play is a little tempremental and needs time to "build media library"

If your still having problems post on the blue&me section and im sure someone can sort you out

Last edited:

Will give it a whirl over on Blue & Me as suggested. Have also tried my Nokia E63 and that is showing no media too.

Re: No Media

Yes sorry I should have said, it is MP3 according to the file extension within the individual folders.

Right, might be the song format. Although I thought they were MP3, i'm not sure if they might be MP4.

Is that easy to change?

Right, might be the song format. Although I thought they were MP3, i'm not sure if they might be MP4.

Is that easy to change?

Not really, it is to do with encoding. There may be some free converters available online for this, but im not sure which are best as I don't use any other format. I guess the songs were first encoded for an iPod?

Not really, it is to do with encoding. There may be some free converters available online for this, but im not sure which are best as I don't use any other format. I guess the songs were first encoded for an iPod?

Yes they were first encoded on an Iphone. I downloaded Double Twist when I switched to a Nokia E63 and all has worked really well. I have checked the folders and the songs do appear to have been converted to MP3.

What I am going to do today, is to copy 1 song I have on the C Drive that is definately MP3 and see what happens.

Will let you know.

Ok, update. The 1 song I did have on the computer in a "definate" MP3 format, has played in the car.

So for some reason the car doesn't like the stuff that Double Twist has supposedly converted to MP3 format.

Ok a further update and I am pulling my hair out, so would welcome suggestions.

The Itunes songs have definately converted into MP3 format using the Double Twist software.

I have basically copied one of the converted MP3 song onto the USB stick. Unfortunately it is still not working.

So if anyone does have any suggestions, I would be most grateful.

The other option is a bit long, but try burning a CD from Itunes, the importing into MP3 format Via Itunes or Windows media player.
Ive also tried converting to MP3 from itunes and B&E doesnt recognise it either.
Or Burn an MP3 disc and re-import as WMA?

The other option is a bit long, but try burning a CD from Itunes, the importing into MP3 format Via Itunes or Windows media player.
Ive also tried converting to MP3 from itunes and B&E doesnt recognise it either.
Or Burn an MP3 disc and re-import as WMA?

Thank you, I will try and do that. At the moment my itunes account is on a netbook without a CD drive (isn't it always the way). These were all songs I bought via Itune, so I won't be ahappy bunny if the only solutions is to go and buy a cheap ipod.

Hey catherinej,

How did you get on with this in the end?

If you have had no joy, try converting the files to mp3 using Super converter it's free and superb. It's mainly for video format conversion but it works perfectly for audio as well.

Set the bitrate to 192, 256 or preferably 320Kbps as that's the best quality.

Or if you found another way of getting it to work, let me know just in case I have the same problem one day :D

Back