Technical Problem with revs shooting up when turbo hits top end

Currently reading:
Technical Problem with revs shooting up when turbo hits top end

garethC91

Hello everyone.
I'm desperate for some help. I've looked and looked and cannot find anything online about this specific problem. I've narrowed the problem down. Initially driving the car for the 1st 5 minutes there is no problems what so ever. After that if I accelerate to hard to revs shoot up and there's no power going to the wheels. Revs up nothing happens ! This happens as soon as the turbo goes into 3/4 to top range. Luckily whilst in sport mode it shows the turbo hence why I know. I initially thought it was the clutch and that was near 2 years ago! When putting in a high gear on low revs it does not stall. There's not a slip at all in the first 5 minutes. So I'm absolutely certain its not the clutch. This happens every single time it's driven. I thought maybe it had a turbo leak and it gets worse as it's hot ? But I have limited knowledge with cars especially new cars ! A 106 I know my way around but electronics these days!
It's a lease car and hopefully looking at selling soon so desperate to get the problem resolved.
Thank you

Hello everyone.
I'm desperate for some help. I've looked and looked and cannot find anything online about this specific problem. I've narrowed the problem down. Initially driving the car for the 1st 5 minutes there is no problems what so ever. After that if I accelerate to hard to revs shoot up and there's no power going to the wheels. Revs up nothing happens ! This happens as soon as the turbo goes into 3/4 to top range. Luckily whilst in sport mode it shows the turbo hence why I know. I initially thought it was the clutch and that was near 2 years ago! When putting in a high gear on low revs it does not stall. There's not a slip at all in the first 5 minutes. So I'm absolutely certain its not the clutch. This happens every single time it's driven. I thought maybe it had a turbo leak and it gets worse as it's hot ? But I have limited knowledge with cars especially new cars ! A 106 I know my way around but electronics these days!
It's a lease car and hopefully looking at selling soon so desperate to get the problem resolved.
Thank you
As it is a lease car you intend to sell, presumably you will part ex it at a garage for a newer vehicle, in which case it is the salesman's responsibility as a professional to satisfy himself re car, and you will probably be "spanked" on deal anyway.
If selling privately then I can understand you not wanting to rip anyone off.
My instinct is the clutch can't handle the power under full load once fully warmed up, if that is the case then holding car at that point for a minute or so would prove the point as there would be a strong smell, as you would get with a sticking brake etc. as soon as you stop and put your head under the bonnet near the gearbox.
However ill advised if you are selling!
Trying to make a car stall in a high gear stationary is never the way I would test a clutch.
My way is with engine fully warmed up, accelerate hard up hill, through the gears and on fourth to fifth get the accelerator quickly down as the gear engages at the same time being a little "lazy" bringing the clutch pedal fully up whilst under max. load. If clutch is weak that usually shows it

Last edited:
Back