Technical Power steering failure

Currently reading:
Technical Power steering failure

wouterb

I own a 2008 Bravo T-Jet 150 Sport. I'm driving it for eight years for 200.000 km, with hardly any maintenance besides regular check ups. Until last week....

Last week I started my car and received a power steering failure message, followed by ABS, ESP and Hill Holder failure. After searching this forum I saw many suggestions pointing to sensor issue or alternator failure, so not too worried, but did take it to the garage as I want to be sure if it relates to steering. Unfortunately they told me the power steering motor broke, and that the whole steering column needs to be replaced as this is Fiat policy. However this would cost me 1.500 euro excl. VAT... :mad: and given the age and number of kilometers driven it doesn't look reasonable to me to pay this amount for this car.

The OBS error codes are:
C1007 Motor servo steering - Intermittent
C1013 Elect. steering systeem EPS (NGE) - Present, above upper threshold

I looked for alternatives and found several companies that revise the steering units of Fiat Punto's, but nobody seems to do Fiat Bravo's, at least in The Netherlands. One company told me that the Bravo's are not easy to revise so nobody does this. He adviced me to buy secondhand from a scrappy and ask the garage to replace it.

Summarising, my questions are:
1. based on the error codes, does this indeed indicate the power steering is broken or should I check for broken fuses, check connectors, broken sensors, replace battery (was done 1 year ago) or anything els?
2. is the general consensus that steering columns from Fiat Bravo's are difficult to revise
3. is there another option that would not cost more than say 500 euro (taking into account that I won't do it myself but need to pay someone to replace it)

Thanks!

get used steering column

Thanks. I asked around a bit, and someone replied offering a steering column from a Punto Evo, stating that it should also work in Bravo. However I'm not convinced, anybody who can confirm if this will work?

Second offer is for EUR 350 for a used steering column from an actual Bravo.

Hello!
How did you solve the problem?
Did you put a used steering column? Did it work immediately or was it necessary to connect the computer to the car?
Did the other functions work as well (Hill Holder and ASR)?
Thank you for the answers!

When you replace the power steering wheel the car must be connected to the computer inorder to calibrate it.
Before buying a new or used power steering try to see if it can be fixed.
My old punto had the power steering refurbished and it worked just fine until I sold it.

Back