General Potential Marea owner

Currently reading:
General Potential Marea owner

Peterg

Hi Guys
I am considering changing up from my great little workhorse Uno to a 1999 marea 100 ex weekender 1.6.

I am a plumber so need it for work lugging around heavy tool boxes the odd cylinder and radiators.

Could you please tell me the good and bad points on this model, mpg etc please.

Is the suspension soft does it bottom out under load?

Thanks in advance
Pete

I have had my car loaded up heavily, close to design limit. I spread the load out carefully and pumped the tyres up and no prob at all. car rode and handled fine although I did notice the bump stops had come off next time I was under it. They stay traped inside the coils anyway and would prolly still work. Our daughters boyfriend is a partner in a building firm and has 1.6 SX weekend and it copes fine although his one has few electrical niggles, climate control playing up sort of stuff, nothing to stop you getting to work. When you look at value for money it becomes a no brainer.

My 100TD will happily carry over half a tonne of logs + 2 people with ease, no idea is a 1.6 would do it as easily though. I've always found the TDs pull and handle much better loaded.

well my 20v handles like a sports car on empty, as for the 1.6 engine i hear its pretty good, looking probably 30-35mpg if your driving easy, assuming it copes like mine with the weight it should be fine, never put that much in mine but 5 people and it still goes fantasticly.

I've had some big and heavy loads in the rear. Handled it fine. Often had a few tool boxes and bits and bobs in the back. Should be able to fit copper pipe lengths inside the car, same for drain pipe.

As for getting the 1.6, I wouldn't imagine a 1.9 JTD diesel would cost much more than a 1.6 petrol weekend.

Peterg said:
Thanks guys much obliged for the info any techincals probs you aware of?

Pete

Are we aware of technical problems on a Fiat? - Nar man, just joking LOL.

I had a 1.6 Marea ELX for a while (not a weekend, i know) - but as far as i know they have the same engine?

I wollied mine around stupidly, it was an automatic and i had sport mode on most of the time, i would get around 75 miles for £10 which isnt too bad considering it was chucked about a bit.

On a few occassions i had the boot full of tools and TV's and other heavy junk, it handled it fine! I also used it to tow a caravan and a couple of cars, it also done that fine! They are good strong cars (in my opinion!)

My brothers mate at work (Team Valley Taxis) uses a weekend as a taxi, its on the road for hours every day, starting a stopping, often quite full of people and suit cases on airport runs (and big fat asses a lot of the time) -Its doing him mint, so yeh, go for it :p

Back