General Pop Star vs Lounge ??

Currently reading:
General Pop Star vs Lounge ??

Joseph500

Hello Generation (500)X’ers

I am advising my Siss with buying her new car. After much deliberation she has settled on a 500X – Pop Star with Auto. Now she is shopping around and she should not have an issue with finding one within her budget (she is looking at Demo’s or what I understand are called “re-registered” in the UK).

Out of the blue yesterday we stumbled on a Lounge model in her price range. Now looking at the specs the difference in features between the Pop Star and Lounge is mostly marginal. The big difference seems to be the 4x4 drivetrain, the higher power and the 9 speed conventional auto. On paper these seem to be nice to have features. But I have a few nagging questions;

1. Is the extra performance negated by the extra weight of the 4x4 ?
  2. Does the extra weight punish the few economy ?
  3. Does the extra complexity of the 4x4 drive train mean extra cost come service time ?
  4. How does the 9 speed GB preform ? It seems that 9 speeds is a bit unnecessary and if anything it would discourage using the paddles (confession I love using flappy paddles when I get a chance)

Can anyone here please advise

Much appreciated

Hi I recently bought a 4x4'cross 170 (petrol) with the 9 speed auto.

Performance: In sport mode it's fairly quick (80's hot hatch territory), in normal mode quick enough, and off road mode sluggish...but then again it's not meant to be a rally car.

Gearbox: I got the auto because that's what the wife has been used to and thought that the extra performance might come in handy but tbh you're right; the 9 speed is a bit OTT and in fact in auto mode (D) it never goes higher than 8th; and when you stick it in 9th it immediately suggests shifting down (maybe it's more suited to the 2.0 diesel with extra torque). When using the u connect economy computer in 9th, the "shift" item turns red, suggesting you're in the wrong gear! Gear change isn't seamless either; more like a standard auto. Having said that I'm fairly happy with it but I've read good reviews about the 6 speed DDCT double clutch which sounds more like a CVT (seamless gear change) so more likely to be smoother.

Fuel economy: not great, I'm struggling to get near 40mpg even when trying a fuel-a-thon, on mostly motorway miles at a steady pace. A full tank gets you about 350 miles.

I still need time to get used to it but it has some natty features and I'm sure I'll get the hang of them all eventually.

If you want economy, auto and petrol I'd go for the 1.4 140 DDCT 2WD if there's one. They have traction plus anyway so unless you're planning on going on a green lane, it'll be more than adequate for GB road/weather.

Back