General poor emmissions on my car

Currently reading:
General poor emmissions on my car

MOT is on Tuesday, so i had it had it put on an emissions test today to see how it goes.

1368cc 16v 8K miles
no CAT
megasquirt

it was ok on lambda 0.97, and hydrocarbons (HC) was also passing, but CO was about 2.5% and limit is 0.2%!

Surprised it failed so bad!

I could lean it out a bit, to about 1.01 lambda, but I doubt it will make such a big difference, so am having a cat fitted in the morning with a decat section to swap it out after....the downside, £200 notes.

I will swap it back out after the MOT, just really worried if it still fails with the cat on.

I'll also clean the CDA, and maybe put something in the tank.

No real point to this, but thought it may be of interest to anyone else considering it lol

Kristian

Yeah, the map for emissions is easy to adjust. You lean out and CO and HC drop, NOX goes up but thats not tested. However you can only lean a little else lambda fails instead.

About 15 AFR is about as lean as your could go really. They were doing me a favour testing it for free, I didn't want to push it by tuning it on the analyzer.

Interestingly MS and the LC1 were showing AFR as about 15.4 (lean) yet the exhaust gas analyzer was saying 0.97 (rich) :confused: The LC1 was only calibrated again yesterday so not sure about the difference!

I did ask about any other solutions but they weren't accommodating lol

I could try other test centres but need it sorted asap, and it's either the cat done tomorrow, or try to pass it again without. Don't think you get free retest for emissions fails though.

Will have to hang the cat on my bedroom wall as an ornament for the other 364 days of the year :p

Kristian

Last edited:
Back