500 (Classic) Plunger

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) Plunger

Billybiglift

Hi, my 500 1971 has a rubber plunger type thing near the steering wheel, is this a primer? Also I have the oil pressure light staying on but there is oil in the car. Also my wife said when she follows me the rear right hand wheel looks outo of line. Apart from that it's ideal:)

Plunger is vacuum button for windscreen washers
Does oil light go out if engine revs increased?
When you say out of line please describe better
Does it mean in at the top when viewed from rear
Does it sit in the middle of wheelarch when viewed from the side?

Hi. Thanks for the quick response, the pressure light only comes on when driving, but not on start up, the car has oil in, but does have a small oil leak. Both wheels are turned out, I will try to load a pic when I can fathom how to.

Regards

Attachments

• 20170506_122315.jpg
    20170506_122315.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 38
Beautiful!
Oil pressure light can illuminate at tickover without concern.
Rear wheels do run with a peculiar camber as designed....maybe your car has new springs which will settle over time. This will reduce the camber angle.

As Andrew says, rear suspension does look a bit strange when the car is sitting with nobody in it--this is normal. The car was designed to carry 4 people (Mama, Papa and 2 bambinos), and with some weight in the car they will sit more vertically.
With regard to the oil-pressure light. The light will come on if the pressure drops to below between 8.5psi to 14psi---as long as the light goes out as soon as the engine goes over idle speed, this is normal. What oil have you got in the engine? For normal running around, a good 20/50 should be in the engine. I would not use one of the modern very-low-viscosity-when-cold oils--the engine is of an era when these oils did not exist and is not designed for them.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

The press light was on all the way through a 3 mile drive, and the light to the bottom left of dash was blinking on and off, car is going for a full service shortly at a local garage, I don't know how much he knows about fiat 500s but hopefully he can cure oil leak and pressure problems. On the plus side there was no smoke in the car

The press light was on all the way through a 3 mile drive, and the light to the bottom left of dash was blinking on and off, car is going for a full service shortly at a local garage, I don't know how much he knows about fiat 500s but hopefully he can cure oil leak and pressure problems. On the plus side there was no smoke in the car

Hi BBL, Welcome to the forum and to 500 ownership.(y)

The light that was flashing on the bottom left was probably the indicator for low fuel level, this comes on when there is about a gallon left so I would advise looking out for a petrol station ASAP. :) :D

Any chance of a photo of your instrument cluster, with an indication of whjch lights are giving you grief? On a 500L (with the 'big' instrument cluster), the bottom left light is definitely the 'low fuel' light. Does the 'oil' light stay out if you rev the engine WITH THE CAR STATIC? If it only comes on when the car is moving, it could be, as Peter suggested, as simple as a poor connection or loose wire at the oil-pressure sender (right side, front end of engine).
confused.gif
smile.gif

I will post a photo during the week hobbler,I have to drive cranes on a weekend to pay for my mad hobbies

Back