Technical Plug lead pliers

Currently reading:
Technical Plug lead pliers

Hmmm, not seen those before. I just looked on the famous auction site where they are also available, just to see a better picture of them. To be fair, looking at the picture in the link you posted, I couldn't work out what they were for exactly! Now, obviously, I realise they are for basically pulling the HT lead off the plug.

To be honest, I've never personally had any issues pulling HT leads off plugs, so as interesting a tool as they appear, I'll be keeping me money in me pocket. I suppose if I had mildly arthritic hands, I might consider them as I can see their usefulness from that perspective.

I'm truly amazed, there seems to be a tool for everything these days! (no bizarre comments please!)

Ahh, just looked at them again, I suppose with deep seated plugs, using these pliers to pull off the lead would be an advantage to some, however, I've owned a few cars with deep seated plugs and never had any issues removing the leads.

Last edited:
Has anyone any experience of these:

http://www.tools4trade.com/d-4505460-sealey-spark-plug-pliers-300mm-vs867.aspx

Thought I might order a pair for the 500/Panda.

... To be fair, looking at the picture in the link you posted, I couldn't work out what they were for exactly!

My interpretation of their 'usefulness' is if you are removing a deep seated spark plug - it drops - and you need to remove it. On the 1.4 the plug seat is a long way down so I doubt if the plier pictured would have reached it. I haven't changed plugs on a 1.2 so I don't know if it will reach.

I'll be keeping me money in me pocket.

:yeahthat:
On the T-jet the plugs are OEM NGK Iridium and you cannot risk dropping them. The tip is very delicate and that little piece of metal could cause havoc in the engine. I would suggest buying a new Plug socket with a decent rubber insert inside so that there is a 'firm grap'. You wouldn't have that issue on the 1.2 with the standard plugs re the delicate tip so I suppose the pliers might be of use to you.

I use a piece of garden hosepipe about one foot long. Loosen the plug with the plug spanner then use the garden hose to remove/place the plug and engage the threads.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

what engines do you have? most modern engines dont have plug leads

AFAIK most petrol engines have plug leads - though I have a vague recollection that some Mercedes models have the coil packs mounted directly above the plugs.

I use a piece of garden hosepipe about one foot long. Loosen the plug with the plug spanner then use the garden hose to remove/place the plug and engage the threads.

This tool isn't for manipulating the spark plug - it's for removing the plug lead from the plug. Sometimes with deep-seated plugs it's hard to pull the rubber boot off without straining the lead - I've seen more than a few HT leads damaged this way.

But the garden hose is a great tip for maniupulating the plug after you've unscrewed it & prior to tightening it up again. Alternatively, a purpose-made spark plug socket with rubber insert (in good condition) as recommended by LH will do that part of the job.

I've noticed quite a few posts on these forums from folks with HT lead problems, so I'm thinking a tool to help remove them safely might just be worth a tenner. Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this one - it's available in two sizes & I'm not sure which would be best for the 1.2 FIRE.

Last edited:
lol no anymore they don't, most have coils fitted directly to plugs

fiat started to fit them to their 16v engines about 10 years ago

Yep I realised I was saying something silly just after I'd posted it - hence my correction. My 1.2 8V certainly has conventional leads, though.

Yep I realised I was saying something silly just after I'd posted it - hence my correction. My 1.2 8V certainly has conventional leads, though.

I posted a picture of the engine bay here on the Spark plug thread. The Spark plug leads go back to a 'track' (same for the 1.4 & T-jet) and there's no performance set available as an upgrade (NGK do 'conventional' sets but not for the 500 as far as I know).

Is the 1.2 different i.e do the leads go back to a track / rail ?

If I want to pull off the leads a good yank / pull at the top gets them off.

I'm missing something :eek::confused: but I can't see how a pliers is of any benefit for getting leads off for this set up or even on a conventional setup (like the one on the Marea).

This tool isn't for manipulating the spark plug - it's for removing the plug lead from the plug. Sometimes with deep-seated plugs it's hard to pull the rubber boot off without straining the lead - I've seen more than a few HT leads damaged this way.

I see the issue :doh: and the need for the tool now. Since the current motors have long 'boots' I forgot about the setups like the one you've described.

I had a problem with an MX5 will it not running correctly and I bought a new set of NGK plugs with a new set of leads - problem solved. Not too sure if they were damaged or if the heat from the engine weakened the leads. If I had a 1.2 I would consider upgrading the standard set with a more heat resistant NGK set if they could be got.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/wire_sets/index.asp

I first came across a similar tool when I owned a Smart. Apparantly the ht leads were seriously expensive and very easy to damage if trying to yank them off the plugs.

So the ht caps had a little tab on them which this special tool hooked onto so you could safely remove....

Except it took me ages to position the tool correctly. And then the cap was on soooo tight. Not a pleasant task.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with Fiats.

And I'm wittering......
Sorry!

Back