124 Spider (Classic) Planning my first Fiat 124 (1977) 1.8 ltr rebuild project...

Currently reading:
124 Spider (Classic) Planning my first Fiat 124 (1977) 1.8 ltr rebuild project...

lukestavrowsky

Just wanted to say hello to forum members and start gathering wisdom on a Fiat 124 rebuild project I hope to take on (for wife).
I’ll search forum and read a lot before asking for advice that has likely already been given.
Basic idea is to completely renovate an old Fiat I recently acquired. Interior is gone, pan is soaked from years of weather exposure, rest of body is pretty good (little rust except pan that I’ve yet to thoroughly examine).
I’m thinking of starting by pulling engine and trans, and doing a rebuild of both (I Want to end up with a combo that won’t be trouble for many years). I May want slightly better than stock power (but not a monster engine), so will explore options.
Interested in what was problematic on the 77 Fiat (not sure if a California model or not).
Thanks all and look forward to reading a lot!

I'd recommend checking out your car very thoroughly as regards how much rust is present before doing anything else. Have a very good look around all the normal areas (these Fiats can rust anywhere and everywhere!). Make sure your's is a good 'un before spending any money.

I'd also recommend doing the body and possibly the interior before embarking on an engine and transmission rebuild, otherwise your rebuilt engine might be sitting for a very long time without a home. (I'm assuming you'll be respraying the engine bay etc.).

The easiest and cheapest power upgrade to the engine that I know off is to remove all the emissions equipment (if you're allowed?) and restore the internals to what was used in Europe, back in the day, i.e. higher compression ratio, better carb, Euro spec. cams and ignition timing. This will give you a decent power hike, (the Euro 1800 model developed 118 bhp), should be very reliable and help maintain the car's value if you should ever decide to sell it.

As regards what goes wrong on the '77 model:- Rust, rust and more rust.

Front engine crossmember (looks for cracks, they're still available new),

Also the above crossmember mounting onto the front chassis rails,

front shock absorber mounting turrets (where the top of the shock is attached, partly visible in the engine bay, look through the access holes in the inner fender - these can crack/break away , especially if uprated shocks are fitter).

timing belts should be changed at the correct intervals, if the valve timing slips, the valves will get bent.

Cylinder head gaskets sometimes fail, but this is usually as a consequence of lack of maintenance of the cooling system e.g. un-addressed leaks, clogged radiator, stuck thermostat, failed electric cooling fan or it's thermostatic switch.

Electrical problems are usually over-stated - I suspect many who criticize Fiat electrical systems have never even driven a Fiat let alone have worked on one.

They were a great car in their day, given normal maintenance, correctly carried out. Imho, modifying one usually ruins it.
(P.S. I was a Fiat Dealership Mechanic, back in the day).

Al.

Back