Technical permanent feed at starter

Currently reading:
Technical permanent feed at starter

ady1970

hi guys , odd one , 2011 2.3 ducato starter burnt out with permanent feed when batterys connected on big feed wires , solenoid works and clicks as it should when keys turned , bought new starter and ignition switch in hope it was the switch at fault , any ideas ?

hi guys , odd one , 2011 2.3 ducato starter burnt out with permanent feed when batterys connected on big feed wires , solenoid works and clicks as it should when keys turned , bought new starter and ignition switch in hope it was the switch at fault , any ideas ?
Can you clarify, are you saying when you connect the battery leads the starter starts turning?
If so surely it can only be a faulty recon starter or a wiring issue.
Did you test the starter on the floor before fitting with jump leads etc. I tend to do this for piece of mind and then using a wire from the battery side of the solenoid to trigger the feed/switch side of the solenoid to hear it kick in and spin the starter.
If that was done with no problem then either.
No1. A terminal got bridged when fitting the starter.
No2. There was a choice of wires to the solenoid and they got mixed.
No3. The feed from the ignition switch is live due to a fault in the new switch or something after the switch causing the wire to be live without turning the key, either a shorted wire or unlikely the ECU giving a rogue feed?

Can you clarify, are you saying when you connect the battery leads the starter starts turning?
Did you test the starter on the floor before fitting with jump leads etc. I tend to do this for piece of mind and then using a wire from the battery side of the solenoid to trigger the feed/switch side of the solenoid to hear it kick in and spin the starter.
No3. The feed from the ignition switch is live due to a fault in the new switch or something after the switch causing the wire to be live without turning the key, either a shorted wire or unlikely the ECU giving a rogue feed?
mike oddest issue starter been checked ignition switch throwing same issue if main feed to starter is removed the small solenoid switched cable does the usual click but as as soon as the big cable are touched against starter it throws starter into spin keys out , dun 35 yrs on spanners and heads mashed with this makes zero sense

mike oddest issue starter been checked ignition switch throwing same issue if main feed to starter is removed the small solenoid switched cable does the usual click but as as soon as the big cable are touched against starter it throws starter into spin keys out , dun 35 yrs on spanners and heads mashed with this makes zero sense
Can it be a faulty new starter with the solenoid main terminals bridged inside the solenoid before the little wire is activated.
With battery disconnected can you test for continuity across those two main solenoid large terminals.
No chance the pinion gear is jammed forward when not activated causing it to hold the connection between the two posts?
I certainly don't know everything after 55 yrs on the spanners, now retired, though mum was right "Get yourself an apprenticeship and you will never be out of work" so two weeks out of work since 1969 and that was me chasing more money!;)

had two new starters live feed arrives intermitmently at the solenoid wire , had a new ignitiom switch as i thought originally that cud be the fault , operation of starter perfect but then it seems the live feed to go off as key released on occasion doesnt happen

In the old days I would have said after everything else you had eliminated then maybe a sticking relay, but I suspect it is all controlled via the ECU, if that is the case then I will bow out to those with greater knowledge of Fiat electronics.:)

In the old days I would have said after everything else you had eliminated then maybe a sticking relay, but I suspect it is all controlled via the ECU, if that is the case then I will bow out to those with greater knowledge of Fiat electronics.:)
im in the mindset now to cut that feed out and wire solenoid to a fused pushbutton …?

Back