Painting Question.

Currently reading:
Painting Question.

fergie157

Alright ladS,Finally got my paint from fiat and i am going to paint over a few scrathes and do a few bodywork repairs over the weekend.just need a question answerd for me (y).

What are the steps for painting ?

is it

1.Wet/dry sand paper
2.Wash Car
3.Primer
4.Sand Down Primer with wet/dry
5.Paint over primer with colour of car.
6.add laquer to the car

Thanks for any help guys.

yep thats the way to do it, just dont forget to check the colour before you spray it on the car, make sure its a good match. Good luck!!

Alright ladS,Finally got my paint from fiat and i am going to paint over a few scrathes and do a few bodywork repairs over the weekend.just need a question answerd for me (y).

What are the steps for painting ?

Make sure car is washed first
1.Wet/dry sand paper

2.Wash Car
On area's to be sprayed it is a good idea to use a silicone remover or panel wipes.

3.Primer

4.Sand Down Primer with wet/dry
you can actually spray on top of the primer, a tracer coat. This is a light dusting of a visable colour on top of the primer. it gives you a guide of how far to rub down the primer. Once the tracer coats gently removed you know it is right. also any low points imperfections will be high lighted by the tracer coat. This technique is not really required though unless you've used filler.
but is still good technique to use.

5.Paint over primer with colour of car.
Remember to build up paint slowly, better 4x light coats than 2x heavy coats, as 1; it won't react as much and 2; will not run or sag

6.add laquer to the car

Always spray in warm-hotish conditions. damp or cold weather will cause you problems.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I would solvent wipe after sanding primer before going to colour.

After clearcoat it should be baked or left to harden, then wet sanded with 1500grit and compound polished.

I would solvent wipe after sanding primer before going to colour.

After clearcoat it should be baked or left to harden, then wet sanded with 1500grit and compound polished.

thanks for the help help mate (y). never done any of this kind of work before but cant afford a garage so i am trying it out. The website has given me a good help on doing it.

Back