Technical P1220: Series throttle control malfunction

Currently reading:
Technical P1220: Series throttle control malfunction

The car at regular intervals became in emergency operation.There was a languid reaction to a pedal of gas. Properly to go in such mode it is impossible. There was such mistake on scanner: P1220 (SERIES THROTTLE CONTROL MALFUNCTION). I have changed a throttle body with Self-adaptation reset, Phonic wheel learn reset. Two weeks has spent properly, and then again these problems. I from Russia, cannot achieve the reason for this mistake anywhere. Prompt, please, in what maybe a problem : Rejected throttle body, ECU, wiring ? Where it is possible to find the literature on parameters, pressure, resistance of this system.
Excuse for my English, Vitaly.

What car/ engine is it?
Do you have air con?

When the ECU cant understand the feedback of "Where is the throttle valve position?" then the ECU goes into "get you home" mode with limited rpm and a P1220 fault code and sometimes P1687

You need to find out why the throttle valve feedback is bad.
Is it the 5v reference being supplied by the ecu?

throttle bdy circuit.JPG
Is the 5v getting to the throttle valve?
Is there a poor connection at the throttle valve?

throttle body connector pinout.JPG
Is something else interfering with the 5v supply eg aircon linear pressure switch, MAP sensor circuit or anything else on the 5v supply

throttle body sensors trace.JPG
Is the feedback from the 2 Throttle body potentiometers smooth and consistent as the throttle valve opens and closes ?
Is the feedback voltage getting back the ECU?
Is there a poor contact at ECU connector?

So, it could be ECU, the throttle valve or the wiring in between, impossible to guess

Last edited:
Is the feedback from the 2 Throttle body potentiometers smooth and consistent as the throttle valve opens and closes ?

I have changed a throttle body with Self-adaptation reset, Phonic wheel learn reset.
Did you mean you have changed the whole throttle body? You don't have a phonic wheel on a 1.6 so do you mean a throttle valve relearn?

I would test the Throttle body connector for poor contacts

I shall check up first three items of your recommendations.

Yes I have changed whole throttle body. FiatEcuScan, there is no function "throttle valve relearn"

photo41744172_173934626
photo41744172_173934626
photo41744172_173934626
photo41744172_173934626

Attachments

• Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,446
Last edited:
If you changed the whole throttle body and the problem was gone for 2 weeks but then returned then I would even more check out the throttle body electrical connector for poor contact and loss of connection (electrical contunuity) between ECU and throttle body

Also I made manual procedure of hrottle valve relearn:

Turn the ignition key to ON position (engine off)
Wait 60 seconds, the time required for the control unit to check the throttle body's internal spring and the butterfly's maximum/minimum angles.
Turn the ignition key to the OFF position
Wait 10 seconds, the time required for the control unit to save the learnt values in EPROM.

What car/ engine is it?
Do you have air con?

When the ECU cant understand the feedback of "Where is the throttle valve position?" then the ECU goes into "get you home" mode with limited rpm and a P1220 fault code and sometimes P1687

You need to find out why the throttle valve feedback is bad.
Is it the 5v reference being supplied by the ecu?

View attachment 80459
Is the 5v getting to the throttle valve?
Is there a poor connection at the throttle valve?

View attachment 80473
Is something else interfering with the 5v supply eg aircon linear pressure switch, MAP sensor circuit or anything else on the 5v supply

View attachment 80470

So, it could be ECU, the throttle valve or the wiring in between, impossible to guess
My Car, Bravo 150P got the same problem recently, error code is P0121 and P1688, when the check engine light on. the car will be hard to accelerate, the engine will not go higher than 3300 RPM. where do you think i can start from to fix this issue.

Back