Technical Overboost Valve

Currently reading:
Technical Overboost Valve

LoBsTeR

Brain freeze
I know this question has been bled dry and I appologise for asking this.

2002 1.9JTD 3dr 115hp

I drove home in horrendous rain this evening and noticed that when I got up to about 3.5k RPM, I kept getting an angine warning bleep (plus light) with a loss of power. It was only temporary (light went out). After dropping off the gas pedal for a bit, the car picked up torque again. Is the overboost valve knackered or will it dry out and be fine?

I dont want to replace the unit if the issue will correct itself. If I have to replace, then I will relocate it to the battery tray as people seem to do. I would really appreciate some guidance on relocation and whats involved if I have to perform this procedure.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

It will almost certainly correct itself but personally I'd want to move it anyway and as you say there are stacks of threads on the 'move it' part.

Another more interesting question is perhaps:

If you discount the disadvantages, is there any advantage in having it mounted so low and presumably within a fresh air stream?

I would really appreciate some guidance on relocation and whats involved if I have to perform this procedure.

It appears that there is plenty of 'play' in the cables/pipes going to the overboost valve so relocation is relatively simple.

Take out the battery and on the engine side drill two holes (one would do) through the plastic side of the plastic shroud that goes around the battery (oviously not the battery itself!!) then simply cable tie the overboost valve (which should be on it's original mount) into place. Twenty minute job (y)

Well, that's what the Fiat boys did to mine anyway ;)

same thing happened to me, only happens for a few seconds but you have bugger all power because the turbo isn't working. Happened after I went the a huge puddle.

Dry it out and move it to where it should be and it should be ok :)

Well problem continued until tonight. Strange thing is that it only happened when I revved above 3.5k. Drove home this evening and all was fine. I guess it dried itself out (engine heat and a good breeze). Will definately move the valve when I get a few days off work.

Thanks all for the input :)

Will definately move the valve when I get a few days off work.

good luck - did mine today and it was a horrible job. Really difficult to get to the fixings, and working under an absolutely filthy, wet, freezing car.... :mad:

anyone, with a bit of luck I'm now free of the P0235 curse.... :)

It appears that there is plenty of 'play' in the cables/pipes going to the overboost valve so relocation is relatively simple.

Take out the battery and on the engine side drill two holes (one would do) through the plastic side of the plastic shroud that goes around the battery (oviously not the battery itself!!) then simply cable tie the overboost valve (which should be on it's original mount) into place.

this is exactly what i did to mine. i did it before the wet weather got here becuase of the problems i had last year. its been absolutely fine since i moved it and i havn't heard a peep from it so it definately works. (y)

Back