Technical Oil Light

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Light

Goffosaurus

Evening All,

I have a light problem with the mrs Sei. Recently, when driving to work the cars been fine until she get's near work when the oil pressure light comes on. Basically she travels aprox 20 miles on the A470 doing around 60-70mph. She gets to Cardiff (around the Mannor Way area) and there she gets stuck in traffic. When she's in traffic the oil pressure light comes on. This does not happen when she's doing between 60-70 on the way down nor does it do it at all on the way home (i'm assuming engine temp plays a part here). Oil level is fine, oil and filter changed aprox 3-4 weeks ago.

Im thinking either sensor but maybe more towards oil pressure. Changed the plugs aswell as the oil and none of them were clean when taking them out if that helps. This is becoming more and more frequent.

Any advise would be helpfull. Its a 51 MPI, 79K.

the sensor is right next to the oil filer. mabee pick one up from the scrappies and wack it in. see what happens.

beware the oil will obviously start pouring out.

If you don't have access to a remote gauge, then you are guessing. Although the fact that it happens when hot after a run would suggest its an oil pressure problem rather than a sensor issue.

Cheers

D

I agree, it would appear to be pressure related as it only happens when warm and when going from a run to stop/start traffic. What would you suggest to remedy this apart from getting a pressure test asap.

Cheers for the response by the way.

What do you mean pump or bearings. Obviously oil pump, what bearings do you mean. Sorry for all the questions mate.

Bottom end bearings. The bottom end all turns on a film of oil kept there by pressure. If the bearings are excessivly worn, then the pressure cannot be maintained.

Cheers

D

Whats the best way of eliminating pump or bearings. Will a pressure test show this or is it trial and error which i suspect it is. If its bottom end bearings i'm thinking new engine due to the amount of work involved.

I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions, thanks rallycinq.

[EDIT] forgot to mention that the engine sounds fine, not noisy, rattley etc.

Last edited:
Woohoo, just phoned my mate and he's got a oil pressure test kit. Going to pick it up on the international day of 'ignore the Mrs and play about with the car' day (Sunday) and i'll see where i go from there.

I'm thinking it may be oil pump due to the engine sounding fine because if the bottom end bearing was on its way out i'd hear it on start up which i dont.

thanks for you help and advice again both :worship:

Sorry its been so long in coming back to everyone.

I got a new switch and all's well, it was the switch after all. Upon changing the switch i noticed blue liquid on my bottom pulley, this would explain where all the anti freeze was going so i'm going to change the water pump very soon.

Thanks to everyone for their help :slayer:

Back